1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong time-length reported when playing VBR MP3 by media player classic

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by eaglepsm, Mar 12, 2004.

1. eaglepsm

eaglepsm Member

When I play MP3 with media player classic,if the mp3 is encoded with VBR (virable bit rate),the time-length which the player reported is wrong (always shorter).
    For example, I have recorded an mp3 with "Total Recorder"(32kbps,vbr),when I played it in realone or windows media player 9.0, it's ok, the time-length is 1:24:08, but when I played it with media player classic 7.4.7.9, the time length is "42:04", though it can play,I cann't change the playing position, can you help me?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

This is a Problem with the VBR Mp3 Format in general..
    Media Player expects that all the Data Packets in the Audio File will Be consistent and it works out the length of the File by amount of Data Packets in the File But with VBR MP3 the Data Packets are not of a Consistant size so it can not properly read the Proper time code..This also Happens with AVI files that have VBR Mp3 audio ,the audio will Play out of sync or the audio will change length after being Encoded/Decoded...It is something you just gotta deal with or you can use CBR encoded audio and avoid the problem....Cheers