1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF does the green light on my mobo gigabyte mobo mean?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by steve008, Dec 28, 2004.

1. steve008

steve008 Member

New pc build(with 2nd parts) not booting, so trying to figure out whats the cause. It switches but doesn't boot, its not shorting either, so..

Just wondering if some of the experts could give me some advice on this. Cus i'm useless!

Have a gigabyte GA7-ZXE, athlon 1800, abit siluro 64mb card, 2 times 256 133 sdram, 350 watt aopen psu.

There is a green light on the top left of my mobo. Should it be on when i switch the psu on or on when i actually switch the pc on?
    When should it light up? Also is their a ram test light on this motherboard because i've seen the label, but are not sure what it is relating to.

Cheers for any help relating to these misterious lights.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the green light on the motherboard indicates there is power to motherboard even when windows shuts down computer, actually that is a good warning indicator that there is power to board just in case you are removing/placing a card/ram in computer. read manual for location of ram test light

3. Divinus

Divinus Guest

This is one of those times were you use your little abbreviation, eh, ddp?

R.T.F.M.D

4. ddp

right on Divinus,
    steve008, not intended as insult as i tell this to my customers & they laugh & agree with it but always do a R.T.F.M.D.(Read The F**king Manual Dummy) before you start putting together something like this, save expense & embaressment

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  5. steve008

steve008 Member

Cheers for the replies, yer everything is connected ok, and have also tested on anti static bag etc. Have brought some very cheap old ram and a very cheap old video card, seems as i carn't really varify that the ones i have are ok.

Would a bad processor cause these signs aswell?
    More detail:
    The pc switches on,fans start, there are no beep codes,the monitor light changes from yellow to green,nothing shows up and then it goes back to yellow. And the pc just sits there.

6. ddp

disconnect all drives & cards from motherboard except 1 stick of ram, cpu/heatsink/fan, videocard & psu but reseat those too. maker certain cmos jumper is in right position according to manual. than repower up board & post result

7. steve008

steve008 Member

I have tried this many times, i will try again when my new vid card comes and ram.
    But someone told me that if the lights come on and the cpu fan starts but the system doesn't boot up then it might be my psu.

Has anyone else heard this.

Cheers peeps

8. ddp

it is possible. try this, take motherboard out of case, isolate from case but still hooked to psu with only ram, video card & cpu/heatsink/fan than repower up system, post results