1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Box,360, PS3, VHS, Other all to video.

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by coachJ, May 22, 2005.

1. coachJ

coachJ Guest

OK I am new to Video Editing and would like to jump all in. I want to take video from game systems - initial thought was to tape to VHS and then move to the PC but I read the quality isn't that good. Sohere are my goals and then a couple questions.

I want to take video from my game systems directly to my PC. I will then want to edit it using Reverse, Slow motion, Voice and music over, occasional special efects, and more. Then want to Upload to the internet and / or burn to DVD. Occasionaly I will need to from VHS to the PC and from a video Cam to the PC.

I have been doing a bit of homework and have picked out the parts I need to build my system but I still have some questions on the capture device. (Here is the syten if you wanna see the whole thing http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/193609)

What do I need for input I have found 2 products that sound like they will do the job. My question is do I need both? If not what one and why? Is there something better I should look at?

1. PINNACLE Studio MovieBox Deluxe version 9 USB2.0 Interface USB Video Editing Box - Retail
    Model #: 210100429
    $180.99 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814144029

2. Hauppauge 980 PCI Interface TV Tuner Card - Retail
    Model #: 980
    $140.00 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815116602

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2005
  2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I personally wouldn"t go for either of those Capture devices especially the Pinnacle Movie Box which from what I hear is supposed to be Just awefull.....I would only go for the Hauppague Card if it was a Hardware Mpeg-2 encoder but you can get a Better one for cheaper Like this one:

Tul Theater 550 PRO TV Tuner
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1224450&Sku=P262-3016

This Card has a 12 Bit Decoder and Most other Cards Only have a 9 or 10 Bit decoder Pluss the audio capture on this Card is Digital were with most Cards it is Analogue and has to be Captured through your sound card, This Card also has Built in 16mb Frame Buffer so you don"t drop Frames and most other Cards don"t have any Frame Buffer..

Pluss this Card is Cheaper than the other ones you were looking at and will capture Better quality.....

Cheers

3. coachJ

coachJ Guest

Thank you for your time.. The card looks good and from what you said that sounds good. I realize bigger is not always better but the Pinnacle and the other one have tons of inout methods while the card you are suggesting has Catv, Ant, and AVI. Won't that limit the devices I can use to download or capture from??

For instance the Pinnacle has: Composite, S-Video, Stereo audio input (2 x RCA connectors), IEEE1394 I/O connector.

Thanks ahaead of time.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Device I mentioned has Cable Input and an Antenae Input and a S-Video Input and with the S-Video input there should be an adapter so you can Capture from RCA/Composite through the S-Video Port...So you should be able to Connect any analogue Device(VCR,XBox,PS2) to the Card....

Sure the Pinnacle device has Lots of Inputs But if the device Captures Bad Quality then the device is Pretty Useless anyways and I have heard so many Bad things about the Movie Box....

5. coachJ

coachJ Guest

Excellent, had I looked a bit further I would have seen that.

Are there any threads here that you would recomend reading to get a newbie started with all this?

Thanks!!

6. albertd25

albertd25 Member

What about a PC game? Can I record a part of a game while playing?

7. Destra

Destra Regular member

I have an ATI capture card also and they work great. You could get an AIW which is a good video gaming card and captures great.

8. albertd25

albertd25 Member

I already have an AIW radeon capture card and I have not problem capturing external sources.I was talking for internal input.Recording the game that is playing on the same PC. I was not thinking about the circle method: connect the Pc (line out) with a VCR and that VCR agin with the PC (line in).Sound stupid.

9. Destra

Destra Regular member

OK
    Try FRAPS or VirtualDub will probably do it or any software that captures from DirectX. Try videohelp.com as they have a lot of tutorials on just about anything.