1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Box Questions...And LOTS OF EM!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by obselite, Dec 30, 2004.

1. obselite

obselite Member

Well, im obviously new to the forums lol. I just got my x box today, had a hell of a time findin one actually... but anyways, i was interested in gettin a mod chip and such because of the absurd prices of games nowadays. Now I've worked with computers for a long time, building my own and networking them, but am not so familiar with the new OS the xbox uses. I have read many guides and know all the programs. All aside, here are my questions:
    -What is involved in a HDD swap?
    -What is the best chip? (heard lots bout the X3)
    -Do You have to use a dashboard to boot the games? and if not, why do they recommend it?
    -How do you access the HDD on the Xbox console, stock (if you can)

THANKS A LOT GUYS AND GALS!

2. bearcreek

bearcreek Member

I will try to answer your questions the best I can. The best way to get started is to go to xbox-scene.com. There are so many answers to your questions, it depends on the method you are using (softmod or modchip).
    1. To swap the hd with a modchip, you need a boot disk with evox on it. But if you have a modchip, then you already have that because you need it to access the hd via ftp. Once you ftp to the xbox, all you have to do is format it and install what ever you want (dashboard, apps, games, etc.). There is a little more than that to it so for the details go to the formentioned site, under tutorials.
    2. That is going to depend on the person you talk to, I am using a xecuter 2.3b. It is my opinion that xecuter seems to be the best. The newer the model, the better the technology. Most people you read about are using the xecuter. What ever modchip you chose make sure you get a bios that does not allow you to get onto Xbox Live (if you plan on doing that).
    3. The dashboard is basiclly your desktop, you have to have one. I recommend the UnleashX. It is the most user friendly. If you upgrade the hd, you can boot your backups from the dash. You can also install your backups to the hd from the dash, no need for extra software.
    4. Yes you can access the stock hd. You do this with a softmod or game save exploit. You need one of three games Splinter Cell, MechAssault (original), or 007 James Bond (not sure which version). You will also need a memory card to install the game save exploit. Once you copy the game save to the hd, it will load the exploit when the game is put into the dvd drive. From there you can ftp to the xbox. Once again, there is a good bit more involved so go to xbox-scene.com.

I hope I answered your questions. To explain your questions in detail would have taken about ten pages, I just brushed the surface. If you have more questions, I am willing to answer them, but I dont visit this site everyday. I will keep an eye on this topic though. Good luck.

3. obselite

obselite Member

You recommend the UnleashX right? So which do I need, Unleash, or EvolutionX?

Well I dont have those games..but can I access the HD strictly with a dashboard? And do I have to have a modchip to execeute the dashboard via XBox.

I was gonna order the X3 Chip with Xapter today. ALong with some other goodies.

Thanks for the help!