1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-OOM Video Clean Software

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by bigroy, May 9, 2004.

1. bigroy

bigroy Guest

Has anyone used X-OOM Video Clean to help clean up old VHS footage before burning to a DVD? Do you capture to mpeg 2 format first and then import to X-OOM or do you capture as an AVI file and then import it to X-OOM. Does anyone know if it works or not?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes ,I have this Software, I actually just got it But I haven"t tried it to much yet, but From the Tests That I did ,it seemed to work Quite well...
    It has something like 20 different settings for adjusting the Color and Contrast and Brightness and it has a Noise filter you can adjust and it really seemed to do a Good Job on the couple of sample Clips I captured...I can"t remember if it captured to Mpeg2 but it does capture to AVI useing the codecs you have installed on your System, it also comes with a very Mediocre DVD authoring program which is a take off of "NeoDVD" which I suppose works OK but Like all DVD authoring programs it"s encoder sucks....
    So from what i have seen of it so far I would recomend it for Captureing to AVI.....Cheers

3. bigroy

bigroy Guest

Minion, My HD that I use for capture is 60GB. Is that large enough to capture 2 hours of AVI? When you used the X-OOM software, did you capture first and then proccess the AVI file?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes 60gb is big enough if you Capture useing the HuffYUV Codec which is a Lossless Codec so the quality is as good as if you captured Uncompressed AVI but with half the file size..And yes of cource I processed the AVI file after captureing it...I actually usually use AVISynth to Frameserve the AVI file to my Mpeg2 Encoder (CCE SP), and I use a couple of the AVISynth Filters to further clean up the Image which Frameserveing to the encoder.....The results are very good with this method.....Cheers

5. bigroy

bigroy Guest

I have an ATI All in Wonder 8500 Radeon card. I have tried to upgrade from MMC 7.6 to no success. What do you use for capture?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

I used to own an "All In Wonder Radeon 8500DV" and I had no problems upgradeing to MMC 8.1, I still have a Radeon 7200 VIVO Card that I use for VHS Transfers....
    For Mpeg2 Captures for DVD what I do is useing "Intervideo WinDVR 3.0" to capture to Mpeg2 at 20,000kbs at 720+480, useing the Highest Quality settings Like Increaseing the Motion Vectors to 32, and Lowering the Gop size down to 6 frames, and I capture the Audio to Dolby Digital AC3 at 192kbs..
    After captureing the Mpeg2 file has awesome Quality but it is Far too big to put on a DVD because the Bitrate I used is over twice the max allowed in the DVD Standard, so what I do is I re-encode the Mpeg2 Video file useing a High Quality Mpeg encoder and use a standard Mpeg2/DVD Bitrate and that lowers the file size and the Quality is still very Good and after that I author the Mpeg2 Video file and the AC3 audio file to DVD useing something like DVD-Lab...
    But there are Many other Methods i use that produce good quality results but this one is one of the easier ones...One thing though WinDVR 3.0 doesn"t have dolby digital AC3 audio capture support anymore, I was Lucky to get my copy while this feature was still available....Cheers

7. bigroy

bigroy Guest

What capture device do you use for mpeg2 for DVD?

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Right now I just have an ATI Radeon 7200 VIVO Card for capture, It uses the same Capture chip as your All In Wonder 8500....

9. bigroy

bigroy Guest

When I go to capture with X-OOM Video Clean, there is a choice I have to make when I click on Record and then Tune. When I click on properties,under Compression/Color, I have to chose YUY2 or UYVY. What are these? I went to the glossary and they are not listed

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Those are Color Spaces , You have the Choice to capture to YUY2 or UYVY...YUY2 is probably best...
    I also just realized this But X-OOM will only capture to Uncompressed AVI and does not allow for Software compression so you will need up to 1.2gb per Minute of Video Captured...I also checked out a Lot more of the Program and realized that it wasn"t as good as I thought it might be...It seems that you can"t use the Color settings and the Noise filter untill after you have captured the Video file and you have to re-render the File to Create the Cleaned up Filtered Video file which means that you need something like 200gb of Drive space....
    I tried out a Freeware Capture program called "Stoik Capturer" which worked really well and it has this feature were it uses a buffer to save any dropped Frames and after captureing is finnished it takes the dropped frames and re-integrates them into the Captured file which is a really cool feature...If you do a Google search you can find this program for free and it seems to work quite well and it lets you use codecs you have installed to capture the video, I also tried the newest version of IU_VCR and it worked quite well also......Cheers