1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x264 and h264 and avi and dvd

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by born1974, May 30, 2006.

1. born1974

born1974 Member

I'm a little confused on this HD stuff. I have a codec called x264. Does that mean i can watch a HDdvd. I know i can watch a HD avi. I can even convert to and from dvd with codec. So what's this CoreAVC codec. Is there a differnt codec for an HDdvd and an HDavi. This is all for P.C. playing and converting of the HD format. Thanx.

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The x264 library is a free encoding/decoding library for the H.264 codec. AVC is H.264.

AVI is a format container, you can put just about anything into a AVI container encluding AVC.

HD-DVD is just a bit-bucket that can contain any type of data as long as the files is smaller than the capacity of the disc.

Now...

No. HD-DVDs arn't DVDs, they are physically diffrent. If you had an HD-DVD-r/rw drive the answer would still be no. They use the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 codecs but they are copy protected.

Ced

3. plutonash

plutonash Regular member

Little confused myself I have 3 movies in in the mkv format (x264). Right now archiving them to DVD (I know they wont play in a standalone) and eventually a back hdd. My thoughts are for the future when I pick an HD-DVD player and recorder I can start "backing" these up (I own the movies in DVD) and start my HD selection write away and finally view HD material on TV without the use of my Xbox360.