1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x3 help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by mace86_04, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mace86_04

mace86_04 Member

i just installed an x3 onto my v1.6 box. it is was all working fine. i flashed x3 3029 to the chip. i then decided that i wanted to install evox so i ftp'd the evox m7.bin to the c drive on the xbox. i then tried flashing the x3 by using the evox bios and my box shut down. i booted it up and it was green then died. repeat. repeat. so i unplugged the mod chip and tried running xbox normal and I get a error 16. how do i fix this? any help here would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. mdsup

mdsup Guest

ok so you flashed the chip with the x3 bios...why the hell would you flash the chip again with a old bios? the x3 has it's own bios, why not use it?

evox can't be flashed...it is a dashboard, therefore all that needs to be done to run evox is to ftp the evoxdash.xbe, and the evox.ini file onto whatever partition you wish.

you really need to do a little research about modded xbox's and everything that goes along with them.

3. mace86_04

mace86_04 Member

well when i downloaded evox i saw that it had a bios folder and its own bios so i figured that i could flash the evox bios and then run the evox dash after that. but that didnt work right. so how do i at least get my xbox running again without the chip? if the mod chip is now screwed up, shouldnt i still be able to boot the ms dash off the hard drive when i unplug it. ps i did make backups of the c and e drives on my pc if that helps

4. mdsup

mdsup Guest

can you boot to the backup bios?

hold the power and eject buttons

5. modster

modster Regular member

dude,

use only the 3029 bios. remember there are two files for different version of the xbox. But I would recommend using the 3029 bios to flash your bios and then just use evox. It's simple. Make it simple, don't read too many posts and get confused. Use what works dude.

6. mace86_04

mace86_04 Member

i cant boot to the backup bios because my solderless power/eject adapter doesnt work. with this plugged in, the only button that works right is the power button. dont know why.

7. mace86_04

mace86_04 Member

when everything was working, i held down the power button for awhile and it should have booted to the ms dashboard, right? but it didnt. and when i held down the power and eject buttons it didnt go to the backup bios.

8. mace86_04

mace86_04 Member

basically what i did was flash the wrong bios to my chip, right? is there a programmer for it or should i get a new chip?

9. Shazoom

Shazoom Member

I had the same problem (except I could still get xbox to boot with chip disabled). I fucked with the bios bin switches on the front of the box. When I got a combination that would actually boot up flashbios, I moved the switches to on, on, off, off, off, (1MB bin 1234)after it was running, then reflashed "x3_1892_v16.bin" using "network flashing" which is the first option when flashbios boots up. Go to http://www.teamxecuter.com/flashbios/http.htm for more info on that.

That should at least get you Booting off of the chip, dunno what to do from there on in... It is important that you use x3_1892_v16.bin because it is for v1.6 xbox especially. I assume that there are others that WILL work, but I know that one does.

10. mace86_04

mace86_04 Member

i ordered a new x3 and put it in the box, flashed it, and it worked! i installed evox on it and a bunch of applications (xbmc was awesome). i say it was awesome because i tried to replace the 33 ide cable with a 133 but it wouldnt fit right (it was one of the round ones and i couldnt orient it righ) so i said fusk it and put the old one back in. but now the mod chip will not boot. one blue led comes on when i power up the box and tries to boot up the msdash but since i dont have that on my new hard drive i installed, it just gives me error 13. i dont really care about the msdash, i just want my mod chip to boot up again! does anybody know what could have happened? i even took the new chip of the pcb thing and put the old x3 chip with the bad bios and it wouldnt boot up either! please help!

11. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

ok i can help you with that. ok the x3 has three lights on it one blue one that is the 5v led another blue one that is the 3v led and the last one can be ether green or read, all it is it the led that tells wether the chip is flash protected or not. when only the 5v one comes on, thats what im gueesing is happening because it happens all the time and it happens to me sometimes still also, it means that the chip is not geting the 3v conection. i think the easiest way to fix this, is to put your thumb on your chip right above the pins and press firmly against it, not to hard because you dont want to damage it but just hard enough so the chip can see that there are pins there, while you are pressing against your chip start your xbox up by taping the power button this should fix the problem. if the lights go back off after you let go and reboot then you need to resolder the pins on the bottom of the board. ok thats all for that. now onto the error 13. when error 13 shows up it means your xbox had a problem loading your dashboard, the original dashboard that the xbox came with before it was modded. this dash is the msdash. usually when this error comes up it means ether you have a whole new harddrive in your xbox, depending on if you upgraded your harddrive or not, and do not have the original dash on the hard drive. or the xbox isnt finding the dash because your hard drive is unlocked. when the harddrive is unlocked that xbox doesnt read msdash correctly i guess and its just some weird thing bill gates did to his software. to relock your hard drive tap the power button on your xbox and once it starts to boot hold the little white button on your controler. this will bring up the x3 default dash, this is that dashboard that the xecuter3 comes with. once in here you can lock your hard drive, and pretty much do anything to your xbox you want. be sure not to do something that you think might hurt your xbox though because there are some opptions in there that can disable your xbox forever.
    well i hope i was some help to you if you need any more you can try to google it or you can just post here again.
    later,
    pacman33

12. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

and one more thing. the stuff they were telling you earlier wasnt all true when her said always use the x3_3029.bin thats not true, if you have a version above 1.5 you want to use the x3_3029 v16.bin not the x3_3029.bin. if you flash a version 1.6 xbox with the x3_3029.bin bios it may not start up corectly, like it will try to start up the reboot on its own then reboot again on its own the it will just start up one last time and will get frag (flashing red and green on the main led)and no you do not need a new chip all you have to do is reflash over the evox bios. flashing the wrong bios will not hurt your xbox. the only way your xbox can get hurt by flashing bios is if someone stoped it in the middle of the flashing like unpluged it while it was flashing. and no you didnt flash it with the wrong bios, it is posible to use other bios's with diffrent chips as long as its the right version of xbox.
    hope i was a little more help,
    pacman33

13. mace86_04

mace86_04 Member

thanks for the reply pacman33. i tried the thumb trick but it did not work. i did notice that the blue led that is lit up says 5v and the one that isnt says 3.3v so im going to check my soldering on my board tomorrow. hopefully that'll work. i'll let you know. thanks.

14. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

yeah no prob, the pins you need to solder are pins 15 and 3 probably, they are the main 3v pins and thats what it sounds like your not geting. so my best guess would to resolder them.
    later,
    pacman33

15. Seriall

Seriall Member

I just successfully modded my xbox with the x3 and x3 control panel, but I am needless to say new at this. Now it is asking me to flash the bios and I have not a clue how to. I have read several ideas from different people but it hasnt helped. I basically need instructions from the very beginning. Please respond with helpfull info or a link. Thanks

16. thik

thik Guest

hi i am having problems understanding all of the technical lingo about how to install an x3 chip. I have all of the physical work done, but i don't know how to flash a bios or where to go from here.
    any help would be appreciated.
    thanks

thik

17. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

18. mace86_04

mace86_04 Member

thanks alot, pacman. my xbox has been sitting broken for about 2 weeks and i finally had some time today so i opened it up and sure enough one of the wires i had soldered myself (because i couldnt use that stupid pcb rebuild that came with it) well, the wire had bent itself and broken from the solder so i resoldered it and it worked. thanks alot.

19. thik

thik Guest

hey thanks for the info but i am having problems with that lingo, MIRC? things like that are hard for me to understand. Total newb. What i was wondering was if there is a site with explanation of technical info like that on it