1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem XBMC not recognized

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by Marneys, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Marneys

Marneys Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forum & XBMC/KODI in general, will try to give as much detail as possible.

Using our XBMC (QUAD CORE HD HP CAMERA Android TV Box Model: CS918S on the back it says OTT TV BOX 2GB RAM 16GB ROM) for months generally problem free on our Sony TV model: KDL-46EX500 (LCD i believe)

Got a new to us Samsung Plasma TV model: PN50A450PID so we wanted to see if the XBMC would work on it, no luck, just said "no signal" on any or all HDMI plug ins, ok so we give up....

Go to plug back into the SONY...Problem:

The box starts up goes through the initial "XBOC" rotating start screen then nothing!
    the TV gives a message: Unsupported Signal. Please check the device output.

I would assume something from the plasma tv messed up the movie box, have no idea how to reset the box, hope someone can help. My husband is very upset, home sick & looking forward to watching some of his favorite shows/movies.

What other info can i give?
    we are hooked up to Telus high speed internet & 25gb tv cable with wifi router, have tried direct internet cable as well with no change.

Cheers,

Marneys

2. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

marneys when you say you plugged back in to you sony , you say that worked previously , did you use the same hdmi cable , and what are you now getting on the sony screen when you start up the box ?

3. piopat

piopat Active member

as the tv is giving a message "unsupported signal" the tv is saying it cant display a picture from the box based on what it is receiving from the box . all you are doing with either tv is to connect the box to it via hdmi , i know of no way doing that could damage the box .

also as the box does seem to be booting up ok , atleast as far as i can ascertain from your post .

as the box worked on the sony tv before i see no reason for it not to work now . i guess as a jumping off point there would be no harm in trying another hdmi cable if you have one . you could also as a test try connecting another device such as a dvd player to the tv via the hdmi connection in question to ensure that it is indeed working ok .

now different modern tvs can display at different levels , depending on the make and model and how old it is . as an example if the plasma tv was older than your sony tv the hdmi display settings (or should i say the maximum) could be different . as an example lets say your box outputs the hdmi signal at 60hz , now lets further say the plasma tv can only accept a maximum of 50hz , well then in that case the plasma tv would have a problem being able to display anything from the box . i hope im making sense .

now a more recent tv may have the ability to accept the signal , naturally new tvs will be made to work with all new popular devices .

now that isnt to say that your android box wont work on both your tvs . the first thing i would suggest is that you check the AV settings in your tv and see if you can change settings related to the hdmi cable connection , just make a note of the current settings and then if nothing works go back to the settings as they are now .

but what ever the AV hdmi output signalsettings of the box are the tv must be able to accept them in order to display the picture . you say the box itself appears to boot up , can you access the menus on it ? , if you can go to the HDMI settings , you should be able to lower or higher or change the output settings , again just make a note of the current setting before you change it . i dont know the android box you mention based on the info you provided .

but on my box i can go to SETTINGS , this menu shows me several options , network/ display/advance/other .

now in display i can see the hdmi output is 1080p-60hz , that atleast will tell you what your box is outputting . now on my box the first option is hdmi auto detection , this of course has to be set to on in order for your tv to auto detect the box signal . however when that option is set to on option 2 on my box wont do anything , however i can temporarily switch off hdmi auto detection in option 1 and then option 2 becomes active . option 2 when active then allows me to select from any one of 4 output options

1080p-60hz
    1080p-50hz
    1080p-24hz
    720p-60hz

now as your box worked on the sony tv before that means your sony tv is capable of displaying a picture from the box . as its not now displaying it i must assume that either your sony tv video/hdmi settings have changed or that the video / hdmi settings on the box have changed . so you will have to check the hdmi settings on tv first , see if you can find the manual for the sony tv and check the hdmi input levels using the above 4 options that i listed as a sort of guide . if you cant physically change any hdmi settings on the tv and never could then something has changed on the box . in which case as i said above you will have to check the above hdmi settings that i mentioned , your box settings of course may be laid out differently to mine but really the basics should be about the same such as the 4 resolutions i listed above . also as i said ensure that HDMI AUTO DETECTION IS SET TO ON otherwise your tv will have a problem seeing the box at all .

but as i said as the box worked on the sony tv before there really is no reason other than those mentioned above as to why it wont display now . if you get the box to display on the sony tv , use the above info on the plasma .

your sony tv of course from the little i know may have a problem with hdmi connections that other people have had . some suggest a firmware update , others say not to update . so with that in mind here are two things you could try that dont require a firmware update

1. Turn off the TV and unplug all the HDMI connections to the TV.
    2. Turn on the TV and while holding down the up arrow on the remote control, press the power button on the TV.
    3. The TV will turn itself off, then back on again then release the up arrow button.
    4. Complete the initial TV setup wizard.
    5. Turn off the TV and plug back all the HDMI connections to the TV.
    6. Turn on the TV and verify those connected HDMI inputs are working or not.

here is the other option

disconnect all devices from the tv , Go to the Set-up menu of the TV and select the option for Factory Settings. very simply this returns your tv to how it was when you removed it from its box /packaging when it was new . so then power off the tv , then reconnect all devices and then power on the tv and go through what ever installation process the tv requires such as scanning for channels etc . then after that try the hdmi connections and see if the box displays .

of course if the sony tv has an issue related to that model sony tv that should not be whats causing the problem with the plasma tv , so i suggest with the plasma that if possible check the resolutions it can accept and ensure the box is set to a similar resolution as i described earlier in this post .

as a last resort these android boxes usually come with composite connections of some sort . these are little round connections on the box , often there are three which are red/ white / yellow (which is one video output and two adio outputs) . you may simply have one video and one audio output , i dont know . you may just have one black out put . if you have the three or two composite connections (and if your tv has them ) then you can connect your box to your tv using those connections and a composite cable . the cable is the same at both ends , its got the same three connections either end . of course this wont give you a hd picture , it would be nearer to sd but atleast it would work .