1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 HD-DVD player and Upconverting players

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by rafrocha, Dec 12, 2006.

1. rafrocha

rafrocha Guest

I have just purchased the HD_DVD player for the 360, and it seems to be working great, however the movies are playing with a letterbox format. The 360 is set to 1080i widescreen. The HD-DVD menus play in full screen, but the movie does not. I have tried four different movies with no avail. It is hooked up to a new 42 inch Panasonic Plasma. I have this same problem with my upconverting dvd player hooked up through HDMI. Please someone help me out.

2. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

The T.V. set aspect ratio is 16:9 widescreen. This comes out to about 1.78:1. Most DVD's/movies are filmed at a 2.35:1 aspect, wider horizontally and narrower vertically than our 1.78:1 sets. Therefore, we still end up with bars at the top and bottom. Some movies have "anaomorphic" versions wich will match the size of the set more closely. You can find the aspect ratio on the back of the DVD package. I hate wasting screen resolution on those damn black bars!