1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox back up game freezes.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Games' started by gr4v1ty, Dec 15, 2009.

1. gr4v1ty

gr4v1ty Member

I ripped one of my xbox games to make a back up.
    After ripping it i burnt to DVD and it starts out perfectly playing the intro. and then comes to spot where is says press start but flashes loading and then just freezes.

My xbox is softmod with splinter cell. Evox as my dash.
    used craxtion to rip the disk. I used Gburner to burn the ISO at 4x write speed slowest i could burn it. The game is NFL 2k3.

Any ideas on my problem?

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

yup.. you haven't patched the disk properly... and craxtion is actually a very crap application to use for straight backups. Makes horrid buggy and glitchy xisos.

You need to do it simple.. copy disk to your hdd using dvd2xbox .. test it works. If it plays properly then you need to ftp that folder from the xbox and use cloneXB to make the xiso. Finally burn with imgburn and try to find an 8x dvd-r .. most drives don't like 16x dvd disks.

3. gr4v1ty

gr4v1ty Member

I read on a forum and did everything same way as the person and said their games worked perfectly. I was using FTP to to download to my pc but was taking too long to do. i use ws ftp. tried the "great" flashfxp.but found out it was crap. wouldn't connect to my xbox. the disk i also tried to use was a DVD+RW to test b4 making a permanent disk

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

+rw .. and there is the root of all your problems.. 7 years we have been telling people over and over again to only use 8x -r disks.. the ONLY ones every drive will read.

My samsungs will read films of +rw disks, but not games..

I used ws also once upon a time long ago.. it's a great ftp app.

Your problems here tho are simple.. wrong kind of disks and craxtion... cloneXB is free small easy and makes beautiful smooth xisos... It's so easy to use it's a nobrainer almost.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

6. gr4v1ty

gr4v1ty Member

ok i got rid of the +rw and now usin a -r and used what you said and i am having the same problem. game plays the begining right b4 the main menu and freezes. Now i need to go buy more disks.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

so you installed game to xbox with dvd2xbox then ftp'd those files to pc & then burned

8. gr4v1ty

gr4v1ty Member

yes i installed to xbox then ir played perfectly so i connected my ftp to it and downloaded to my pc then i created an image and burned it.

then i put it in xbox and started to play the intro video then freezes

9. scum101

scum101 Guest

scorp .. leave it auto. Makes no difference whatsoever on my network hardware.. in fact.. with my old router, trying to force the point actually slows it all down while it decides if it likes being told what to do..

As for the bad disks issue.. the old xbox is as picky as the 360 .. believe.. Only ones I found 100% working were ridata 8x-r (silver disks with nice purple sleeves around the spools of 25 I used to get cheap)

There is something still wrong.. either in the xiso making (STILL using craxtion?) or in the burning..

Try another game.. these sporto games were known bastards.. I never ripped or burned one (I'm not interested in yankeee sports) but I did hundreds of others.. and never had any problems.

10. gr4v1ty

gr4v1ty Member

No i don't use craxtion. i tried that one other prog i was told about .... if i changed dvd drives in the xbox that would give me better chances with diff disk types?

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Haha found it,this will go some way to explain what scum is saying,simply put xbox drives are fickle as,one of mine reads cd-r & dvd-rw the other spits em back..lol..

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_Linux_Boot_CD/DVD_Burning_HOWTO

edit: there's a colour graph near the top part of article,this would go better if you had more than 1 modded xbox of differing model & dvd drive type since there's no way to tell if it's the game or not

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  12. scum101

scum101 Guest

That's why I said try another game... some of the sporto games were designed to only run from xxx location, but it works from the hdd so it's not one of those.

Lets look at disks in more detail.. I have tried 16x dvd-r .. good, bad and indifferent brands.. and they are 50/50 whether they work.. I only have 2 boxes left with sammys in them (605b not f).. sold off all the rest.. surplus to requirements and I have what I wanted.. 2 superb lumps for movies and gaming.. ..
    8x -r .. not +rw and not -rw .. waste of time.. as are 90% +r. disks.. mid branded.. ritex/ridata/arita.. G05 dye is what matters.. things that aren't cmc are usually fine.. my drives don't like verbs or ty's but they will just about stagger through a tevion+rw .. tho they aren't supported at all..

so lets look at it.. you have a game that works on the hdd .. you made a nice xiso (patched by removing media checks I hope) with cloneXB .. then you burned that with what? imgburn or something else.. and what brand/type of disks and burner.. I doubt the game region is going to be anything to do with this case.. what noises does the drive make when it errors.. if you leave it do you get a dde eventually?

What you NEED for guaranteed (almost) xbox dvd burns is any disks using G05 dye... and you need a pretty decent burner as well. It's how come I ended up with a NEC nd-3550a .. after much research. Best drive for the job back in the day.. best £35 I have ever spent as it's still going strong. Any decent modern burner should do an xiso to a -r disk without too much trouble.. except perhaps one of those fail hl-dt-st pieces of junk.

Burning xbox games always has been.. and always will be an artform all to itself.. Is it hot and dry where you are? .. if so wait for a day when it rains and try again... seriously..

scorp.. your drive that doesn't do cd-r .. may be horrid philips (I have seen one read cd and the other not.. identical drives) or a tommy.. if it's a tommy.. just don't finalize the cd-r and it will read... hahahaha The philips will handle cd-rw tho.. weird or what?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
  13. gr4v1ty

gr4v1ty Member

memorex -r 16x. i am not sure what dvd drive in my xbox but the one in my pc is a LG that will read any disk. I have not had any problems with it reading.

I used CloneXb to make the xiso and i have used imgburn and Gburner which is actually my fave iso burning program. I burnt disks at 4x and 8x.

and as for what it is like here it is cold and snowy...lol

14. scum101

scum101 Guest

There we go.. memosux disks, and 16x ..

Just to prove it try copying one of your burns to the hdd.. ;)

15. gr4v1ty

gr4v1ty Member

so what brand and speed should i get to use to create my back ups?

16. scum101

scum101 Guest

I'm pretty sure IF you read my earlier answer that information is contained.

17. gr4v1ty

gr4v1ty Member

sorry guess i could have looked back to there..lol
    well hopefully i will get some disks soon and get my back ups completed.