1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox backup?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by suprdave, Nov 10, 2002.

1. suprdave

suprdave Guest

what do u need and how to doit instructions on xbox backups. ho do u make xbox backups i know u need a dvd-r burner which i have a pioneer dvr-A04 but dont have the know how like what software i need and how to go about using the software the right way. is there a way to backup xbox games if so please help!

2. virusag13

virusag13 Member

All you need is your burning is cloneCD or nero. Then you have to download the game, as I do not think you can straight burn them like a music cd or dvd (with DVDXCOPY).

You also need a modchip installed on your machine. Modchips are reverse engineering of Xbox copyrighted material, therefore illegal. Modchips are also detectable by new games made for the xbox system. If a modchip is detected by this game it will not boot. Just FYI

3. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

To burn xbox games you need to install a mod chip into your xbox (i installed a matrix, no solder and you can update the bios without removing the mod chip).

After you get that installed, you need to run Evolution X Dashboard from a CD-RW disc or you can install it directly to your harddrive to replace the microsoft dashboard.

Once you get that installed, you will need to hook up your xbox to a network (i have a DSL router, works great). Once the xbox is on teh network and has an IP address, you will need to FTP into the xbox from your PC, enter the IP address of your XBOX. The login info is this:
    user: xbox
    password: xbox
    (this is for the evolution x dashboard)

Once you ftp into the xbox, it will show 6 folders.
    The C: is the main folder.
    The D: is your XBOX's DVD Drive (thus where the game we are trying to backup is located)

Now you want to download all teh files from the D: to your computers HD.

After it finishes, you need to create an XBOX iso file (xbox games will not read in your pc's dvd drive, just will show you a layout similar to dvds just a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder).
    Use xISO for this.

Once you create ISO, burn it to a blank dvd+rw with nero (this way you can test it before you actually use a dvd+r).

Then try to play it in your modded xbox, hopefully it will work.

The hardest part of this whole thing is finding the programs to do this and also finding BIOS's for your mod chip and finding an evolution x dashboard. i would search google or other various xbox forums.

I'll be posting my own unofficial xbox game backing up guide at my website soon, however, the programs will not available (again, due to legalities and the fact that i don't want micro$oft on my case!)

peace
    seamonkey420

4. xbxmaster

xbxmaster Guest

seamonkey can you network it through a ethernet cord? if you could contact me that would be cool im on aim as karenspapi thats also an aol email if you could i would really apreciate it i have bought everything i need i just need to learn how to use it all

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

6. phun549

phun549 Member

hey,

i just wanted to ask you if its possible to summarize all of that into procedures and materials. like this:

materials:
    dvd burner
    dvd+r
    etc....

procedure:
    etc....

this would be the best if possible! thanks!

btw, i just got a memorex dvd burner and also xbox so i wanna kno how to back them up.
    thanks again!

7. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Hell No, I don't even own an xbox I just knew of that web site!

8. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

for phun549:

-warning, i am not responsible for any damage done by doing this-

xbox backing up:

materials needed:
    --HARDWARE--
    -XBOX [duh! :)]
    -a mod chip ( i like the matrix, solder less!! and you can flash the bios)
    -an ethernet card/NIC
    -a router or a twisted network cable
    -a dvd burner

--SOFTWARE--
    -FlashFXP (to ftp into your xbox)
    -xISO (to create XBOX iso files, a bit buggy but there are other programs that do the same)
    -Nero Burn (to burn the XBOX iso files to a blank dvds)
    -Evolution X Dashboard (for the xbox)
    -Evox D6 Bios (flashed on the matrix mod chip)

Step 1. flash the mod chip with the Evox D6 Bios (or which ever version of the evox bios you have or use). Install the mod chip. Then install the Evolution X Dashboard onto the xbox harddrive (see other xbox forums or sites on the specifics on how you do this)

Step 2. After you get evolution x dashboard installed, hook up the network cable in the back of the xbox and into the network card in your computer (xbox game backing up requires you to take an outside in approach).
    setup the network settings so you can FTP into your xbox (assign an IP address)

Step 3. Insert the game we want to rip, into your XBOX and open up Flash FXP and connect to the IP address you assigned your xbox.. The user name is : xbox, the password is: xbox (defaults). Once you are connected, it will bring up a list of folders (c:, d:, e:, f:, x:, etc). The main ones we want to worry about are teh C: and the D:. The C: is the main xbox drive, and the D: is the XBOX DVD Drive (this is the one we need to worry about).

Step 4.
    Go the d: folder and copy the folder to your harddrive.

Step 5. After you copy it to your harddrive (your pc's), you'll need to use xISO to make an XBOX .iso file.

Step 6. Burn teh xbox iso file to a blank DVD.

Step 7. Play the burned game and enjoy! ( i use dvd+rw's on the first, test burn to be sure i don't waste dvds on games that didn't rip right)

hope that gives you a start... this does not list every single detail, i'm still working on my xbox game backup guide.. it should be done by January..

peace
    seamonkey420
    http://www.geocities.com/daseamonkey420
    --over 1400 hits already!--

9. phun549

phun549 Member

thanks sooooo much man, ill look it over and if i have any questions, ill let u kno!

10. phun549

phun549 Member

ok seamonkey, i really understand what you said, and again, i thank you soo much! i sent you an email at seamonkey420@excite.com so please check it soon. thanks man, and i have many questions to ask you so please contact me soon!

-later

11. IceChilla

IceChilla Member

Hey phun549
    I kno how you feelin man, i been trying to figure out xbox backups for the longest time. People just say download the game...i always wonder from where? I try to figure out this xbox backup mess...but it seems so complicating!

12. skapunk45

skapunk45 Guest

I have an Xecuter mod chip and I dont have all the fancy equipment nor do i know where to get the rest of the stuff, im not even sure if my mod chip is capable of burning the games, however if someone knows how to burn them i could use some help or what ever, my email is scasey1982@yahoo.com and my aim name is skapunk456 . so if u can help me out or cut me a deal id appreciate it

13. XMack

XMack Member

Can anyone verify or point a place out that shows all compatable modes the XBox will play? Want to know this before I go spend $$ on a DVD-Burner and have it be the wrong kind.

IE, Which of DVD-R ,DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW work on the XBox. Also which media seems to work best for using in the XBox.

If specific burners seem better than others would like to know that also. Thanks.

Mack

14. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

here's what i use and it works:

-Matrix Mod Chip with Evox D6 Bios
    -Evolution X Dashboard v 1.8.3285 installed on XBOX
    -40GB Seagate 5400RPM HD (replaced original ms hd to get more space for games!)
    -XBOX - Version 1.0
    -Dvd Burner: HP DVD200i DVD+R/+RW
    -Media: Meromerox DVD+R and Verbatim DVD+R
    For Boot discs, i use Memorex CD+RW

I am not sure if there is a major difference between DVD-R and DVD+R readability on the XBOX. If thats the case, you can always replace the XBOX's DVD Drive with a PC DVD Drive so it can read more types of media and dvds.

Hope that gives something to start with.
    peace
    seamonkey420

15. phun549

phun549 Member

wow, never knew that u can replace the hardrive on them babies! thanks man! do u think u can give us a brief description on how to replace them? and what is the size of the stock ms hardrive?

thanks!

16. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

*--Harddrive replacements--*
    -not responsible for any damages done--

The stock MS harddrive varies from around 8GB to 10GB, depending on the number on the harddrive. Most XBOX games average around 1 to 2GBs in size, so the stock drive allows you to save only about 4 - 6 games. lets change that!

-Overview/Requirements-
    You need to have a mod chip installed onto your xbox, flashed with a bios that alllows for a HD swap (evolution X and EvoX bioses do, not sure about others, i personally use EvoX D6 Eject Fix Bios)

1. In the evolution X dashboard, go to system utils > Backup. this will back up important info into the C:\Backup\ folder on your xbox (make sure that it does backup, some earlier versions of evolution x dashboard didn't backup the files right, evolution x dashboard v 1.8.3285 works beautifully, there should be five files in there)

2. Backup both your C and E drives of the xbox harddrive (you'll want this to copy back onto the new harddrive and to have just in case)

3. Make a new folder for the evolution x dashboard hd install cd we need to make.
    You can use the evox.ini file from the xbox (the one we backed up earlier). You'll need to change a few things in it:
    -leave everything else above this part alone, but go down to the [MENU] part.
    Replace what is there with this:

[Menu]
    Section "Install Menu"
    {
    Item "Install New Drive",@210
    Item "Settings",@9
    Item "Reboot",@5
    }

[Action_10]

Info "Install HDD"
    Warning "This will format all drives"
    Warning "Make sure you have a backup of C & E"
    Progress "Formatting Drives"

ConfigSector "\backup\disk.bin"
    Format c:
    Format e:
    Format f:
    Format x:
    format y:
    format z:

[Action_11]

[Action_12]

-then save it to the new folder, also copy over your evolution x dashboard file and rename it to default.xbe and also copy the folder "Backup" from the C:\Backup of the xbox.
    so you have these files in the new folder:

evox.ini
    default.xbe
    \backup\bios.bin
    \backup\disk.bin
    \backup\eeprom.bin
    \backup\hddinfo.txt
    \backup\hddkey.bin

and then make an xbox image file (i use xISO) and burn it to a blank cd-rw (one that you know works in your xbox).

4. Disassemble your xbox and replace the Harddrive (make sure the jumpers on the harddrive are set to Primary or Master.
    I am not sure about what harddrives work or not.. but i would assume any IDE ata/100 5400RPM or better, the max size you can replace is about 130GB, i guess the xbox doesn't recognize anything above that or something...
    Now hook up the harddrive like any harddrive and reassemble your xbox.
    (keep your old xbox harddrive, just in case something goes awry)

5. Boot up your xbox with the cd we just created in step 3. It will load the evoluation x dashboard, go the the Install HD and follow the steps and wait for it to finish.

6. then just reinstall your c and e drives and make sure your evox.ini file or settings has USE F Drive? to a Y for YES. Your F Drive on the new hd will be the biggest and where you'll want to save games, music or apps..

well.. thats a quick run through..
    private message me with questions..

17. gsaysay

gsaysay Member

I already done the steps on your instruction but whenever i try to access the Drive D it is the same content as Drive C have... What do you think is the problem? thanks...

18. phun549

phun549 Member

ok man, seamonkey is a god! i love him, he helped me soooo much! and i have succesfully backed up my games, and much much more!

anyways, if you are using flashfxp, then just try to refresh the drive content. and also, make sure u have a game in the xbox, and you xbox must be on the dash screen. then check the d drive and there should be the game files in there.

if that doesnt work, then i really dont kno what to tell ya, heh, i suggest u ask seamonkey!

im guessing it mite be a foreign type of drive format that your xbox mite have, but im not sure.

hope that helps!

19. chillsbwp

chillsbwp Guest

anyone now where to download evolx, it is very hard to find

20. sykochin

sykochin Member