1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox bios extracting

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by B1gDRock, Oct 26, 2006.

1. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

i have a nonmodded xbox and a modded one. im tried to get all the files from the nonmodded one. i did this buy doing the splinter cell AR thing and when it bottted up with the temporary modded dash i FTPed everything onto my pc. i also want to get the BIOS from the nonmodded xbox. how would i do this?

2. o71g

o71g Member

Use the EVOX Dashboard, under System Utils/Backup option. The files are usually placed in a folder named backup from the same dir as evox was run from. In your case if your using the gamesave exploit then under E:\UDATA\4541000d\000000000000 (for 007 AUF)
    E:\UDATA\4d530017\62D648EBF155 (for Mech Assault)
    E:\UDATA\5553000c\8D5BCE250B35 (Splinter Cell NTSC)
    E:\UDATA\5553000c\8D5BCE250B35 (Splinter Cell PAL)

This is to backup your eeprom, the bit where it stores the unique id for your xbox. Used for locking/unlocking your HDD and also for XBLive banning. If you meant the kernel then there's no point, just make a note of what kernel version you have and aquire it from the usual places. Have a look at a site called [bold]xbins[/bold] for more info on that.

OliG

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  3. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

no i dont want to softmad it. i just want to get the BIOS so i can put it on my other hardmodded xbox

4. o71g

o71g Member

In which part did I mention sofmodding???? Read my responce again a little harder. What you call the "splinter cell AR thing" is known as a gamesave exploit (allows access to the stock xbox hdd).

You will need to aquire the BIOS (KERNEL is the correct term) by downloading it from some where. IF you re-read my responce there is a big clue. In order to make a backup of the Kernel(BIOS) you would have to open your XBOX and solder a connection, that is why I'm advising you to find in by means of download. There aren't that many different versions of the KERNEL, meaning that the KERNEL(BIOS)in your XBOX is not unique to your XBOX.

O71G

5. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

well right now i have a stock hdd with nothing modded on it in an xbox with a modchip so i can ftp. i think i should be able to get it via ftp. right?

6. clavette

clavette Guest

is there a way to change your eprom so u can go on xbox live if u got banned?

7. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

here maybe this will help you understand what im trying to do. i have an old stock hdd that was modded though. i took the splinter cell AR exploit and when i was in the temporary dash, i ftped everything from a regular nonmodded xbox and put it on my pc. then i took this old stock modded hdd, put it in my hardmodded xbox, ftped via EDonChip, and erased everything on it. then i put everything from my pc that was from the nonmodded xbox to the stock hdd that was modded.

so basically i made a backup of a nonmodded hdd. got a stock modded hdd and erased everything on it. then put the backup of the nonmodded hdd on it, so now its basically identical to a nonmodded hdd. now im trying to put this hdd in my hardmodded xbox and play online, because my chip has the ability to turn off. but i need to get whatever is needed to make this hdd run and go on live.

i hope that cleared things up a bit. so wat do i need to get this thing up and running?

8. o71g

o71g Member

[bold]B1gDRock[/bold], WRONG!!! please read my posts more carefuly
    Search google for [bold]XBINS[/bold]. I will not answer you with anymore questions until you at least read what I have already told you, OK!!!!!

[bold]clavette[/bold],
    Yes you can, you will need to obtain an unbanned eeprom file from somewhere (not so easy but some people do sell these for around $5 or so)if you have another XBOX or know someone who does not use live then you can extract it from their XBOX. If your using a softmod and your HDD is locked then you'll need to unlock it and relock it with the new eeprom. To change your EEPROM you can use "config magic" then relock the hdd with the same software.

O71G

9. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

i did read it. your not answering my question. i have the backed up eeprom and the correct kernal which i got from xbins. i have flashed the kernal/bios watever you want to call it and i have the backed up eeprom. I DONT KNOW WHERE TO PUT THE EEPROM ON THE HDD THAT I AM TRANSFERING EVERYTHING OVER TO. THAT IS WHAT I NEED HELP WITH> YOU STOPPED YOUR REPLY AT GETTING THE EEPROM AND YOU NEVER SAID WHERE TO PUT IT. AND THE EEPROM WAS NOT IN THOSE DIRECTORIES YOU GAVE ME. IT WAS IN THE E DRIVE UNDER BACKUP_LINUX

10. o71g

o71g Member

So what is the problem??? I found it very confusing reading your last post, as for me and many others a stock hard disk means all original files and modded mean non standard dash or chipped.

Question, Does your XBOX boot with the chip turned off and the stock HDD in your machine?? If not then drive is probably not locked, using Evox (ftp it to your E:\APPS drive, don't worry about xbox live it won't check for this). There is an option to lock your HDD, it will check the EEPROM unique code for your XBOX and lock it. You will then ba able to boot with the chip turned off as well as on.

O71G

11. o71g

o71g Member

OK lets get some things clear, I'm spending my time helping you for free, so try not to be so rude. I am trying to answer your questions but you failed to ask the right one in the first place. This not only wastes my time but yours.

Your original question was:
    You never mentioned anything about EEPROM or installing to another machine.

The EEPROM data is stored on a chip and is only converted in to a file so we can transfer it from one machine to another or for backup purposes. This chip contains the unique key that locks/unlocks your xbox HDD, LOCKED HDD is not needed if you are running with the chip ON. If the chip is turned OFF then the standard XBOX KERNEL requires that the XBOX HDD is locked at boot time. If it is not locked then the XBOX will stop and show an ERROR.

If you are using the HDD which came with this XBOX and it is not locked then all you need to do is run EVOX and select the LOCK HDD option. This will check the EEPROM unique code on the chip and lock the HDD with the correct code for that XBOX.

Why do you want to transfer the EEPROM from your umodded xbox to your chipped one???? Unless you've been banned or the hard disk is from your unmoddd xbox there is no need.

O71G

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  12. clavette

clavette Guest

Sorry i am not trying to jack this thread, but i have a question.
    I have an xbox which is fried, i think the HDD is fine how would i unlock it to get the eprom? Would i have to use my Computer or would i be able to put it in my working xbox to unlock it and FTP the eprom.
    I just wasnt sure cause ive heard u cant just throw in a HDD in a diffrent xbox. Thanks

13. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

this is really hard to explain. this is what i have:

-1 xbox that is hardmodded and has a 120 gb hdd

i still have the hdd that came with this xbox. it is modded as well because i had used it for the xbox while it was modded and then i upgraded. im going to refer to this hdd as the 'old hdd'

-i also have a nonmodded xbox

i took the nonmodded xbox and ran the splinter cell exploit. i FTPed everything from it to my pc. so i have a backup of a nonmodded hdd

then i took my 120gb out of my modded xbox and put in the old hdd. i used ED on CHIP to ftp while the old hdd was in. then i deleted everything from the old hdd and replaced it with the nonmodded files that i backed up to my pc. so now the old hdd should be identical in files to the nonmodded xbox hdd.

im trying to run this hdd on my hardmodded xbox on live, because currently it doesnt connect to the internet at all. so i flashed the 5830(it think thats what it is) BIOS to my chip. then i booted up the xbox with the 5830 BIOS, which is apparently the one i need for it to boot with the dash i have. but when i boot up it makes it passed the blob thingy and to the xbox logo. then microsoft appears under that and then the xbox turns off. then it boots back up, but starting at the xbox logo again and once microsoft appears, then it turns off. it just keep repeating this.

so what im wondering is what i need to do to get this to work.

the reason i asked how to get the original BIOS from the xbox is because i though that maybe i was using the wrong BIOS. then you started talking about eeprom which made me think that maybe i didnt have the right eeprom so thats why it wasnt working. i linked my frien (clavette) to this forum and he said that he forgot that he needed to tell me that thats what was wrong. so thats why i was looking for the eeprom and what to do with it because i thought thats what i needed to make it work.

so basically im trying to get this old hdd to work.

i hope that made things clearer. i understand how it could be hard to tell what im talking about since you dont know the background to once going on.

14. o71g

o71g Member

Yeah thats much better and very clear, my brain was starting to melt. There was some confusion too because you responded as I was answering your last message. Not to worry, we are now on the same level.

OK firstly you can forget about the EEPROM and BIOS/KERNEL from your old machine. This is the OLD HDD from the machine you are trying to get working. So if the HDD is locked it's locked to that xbox and shouldn't cause any problems.

The symptoms you are desribing are a bit unusual if your using the M$ bios/KERNEL (i know your running from the chip but it is still the M$ bios/KERNEL correct?).

I would like you to try and boot an original game if this doesn't work then I would advice you either re-download another (older) M$ BIOS or try flashing it to a different bank on the chip. I've not done this for a couple of years now but when I had a simular problem it was because the M$ BIOS/KERNEL was not on BANK 1(0).

However if the game does boot then you have a problem with the Dash but I would expect you to see an error (not always though). If a game does boot then go to the Live tab (in the game with the network cable unplugged) and see if it updates the dash. Not sure what dash version you are running currently. You'll need to use a new(ish) game for this.

Let me know first if you can boot an original game before you continue with anything else.

O71G

15. o71g

o71g Member

[bold]clavette, 26. October 2006 @ 23:55[/bold]
    That deppends, do you have a backup of the EEPROM already? If it's on the locked HDD then you have a Hard disk sized brick.

If you have a EEPROM backup available? Then yes you can unlock using XBHDM for the PC.

A standard XBOX (unmodded) will not boot unless the HDD is locked to that machine (Key stored on EEPROM (CHIP)). So if your XBOX is fried (what is the problem with it??) and you don't have an EEPROM BACKUP then forget it.

O71G

16. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

alright i put H2 in and it loaded and everything. but the second i push A it freezes. and yes this is the MS kernal or at least thats what it said on xbins.

17. o71g

o71g Member

Do you know what version xbox you have??? ie 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5/1.6?

You may need to use a different BIOS/KERNEL version but I am unsure. Does your chip allow you to turn it of completely or just switch banks?

I have never come across this problem but I have heard of people using a BIOS/KERNEL which is too new for their XBOX.

If we can get a game to work correctly then we can look at the dash after that.

What chip are you using?

Which Bank is the BIOS/KERNEL loaded on?

O71G

18. clavette

clavette Guest

looks like i have a hard drive sized brick heh..
    i did back it up at one point when i soft modded it, but lost now.
    well it was a free xbox a friend gave me, it had freezing issues He left it in his car on a few really cold nights and it froze after 5 min of game play. so i tried modding it so i could do the hotswap to see it if was the HDD, And it wasnt i figured somthing on the board went. but then i went to move the xbox on the floor, I could OF sworn the xbox was unplug ,And of course it wasnt and then lots of sparks came flying out when i touched 2 metals together.

19. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

i have a 1.6 and my chip doesnt turn off completely. it just switches banks. it is a smartxx v2 and i think the kernal is on the 4th or 5th bank.

20. o71g

o71g Member

Sorry for the delay, just had to pop to the shops. I'm in Thailand so it mid-day here.....

That makes more sence now. First make sure you have a copy of your hacked BIOS on another bank and then copy the Original bios to bank 0(1) not sure with the SmartXX. The BIOS you should have is the 5838 (not sure if you did a typo) for the 1.6.

If that doesn't work then I'm stuck on this one.

O71G