1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Controller for PC via USB

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by DanandJen, Apr 9, 2006.

1. DanandJen

DanandJen Regular member

Just incase none of the pictures show, you can download this file from.... Http://home.comcast.net/~AshbridgeFamily/xbox.rtf

How to make your Xbox controller a Pc controller

This handy home mod will allow you to use your xbox controller for all your pc games via the usb port. But wait, why would you want to use an xbox controller on the computer? In my opinion the xbox controller is one of the most comfortable and rugid controllers on the market. And by the way, I am in no way responsible for any damage to your system or hardware while performing this mod. USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Requirements...

1. Xbox controller
    2. Spare USB cable
    3. Electrical tape
    4. Wire cutters or Exacto knife
    5. Xbox controller driver found here... Http://home.comcast.net/~AshbridgeFamily/XBCDv107.exe

Step 1.

- Take the Xbox controller and cut the cable as indicated by the picture below. The cut should be about half way between the Xbox port and the breakaway point. The reason for this is so you can still connect the controller to a spare untainted xbox break-away connector.

Step 2.

- remove all the shielding and tubing from all the wires. Only remove about an inch or so. You will want to leave some incase you screw up.

Step 3.

- Starting from the male end of the usb cable, cut down about 6 inches as indicated in the picture below. And then remove the shielding and tubing from about 1 inch of each wire.

At this point you will notice that both the usb and xbox controller both have the same color coding for all the wires. This is because Microsoft used a USB derivitive for the controllers.

Step 4.

- Begin to twist all the same color wires together and tape them. Make sure you do a good job of covering any exposed wires. For this to work properly no wires much touch. You will however have one wire that will not have a mate...tape it off. Also ensure that you go over the section where the wires are connected very well. You don't want the whole thing to come apart in days after use.

Step 5.

- Install the driver file you have for the controller. after installation, connect the controller. The system will detect it and install. You may have to point to the driver for the system, everyones PC acts a little different. The system will tell you that the driver is not digitally signed....continue anyway! If all went well you should see your controller under the program XBC when you load it.

Job well done! Now get out there and play!

Special thanks goes out to RedCloud for the awesome driver for this!

2. smarty007

smarty007 Member

or u could just get an adapter at most pc outlets 4 dirt cheap cutting wires? meh!

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

4. DanandJen

DanandJen Regular member

This post was meant for those out there who preffer to do it themselves instead of the lazy way and buy one. Knowledge is power!
    What's the matter Smarty, afraid of wire cutters and tape?

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

I realize you were just pointing out how to do it yourself, I was just stating the alternative.
    I was an electrican for 17 yrs before switching to networking so tape and wire cutters don't bother me. It's just that I don't see where building it yourself is cost effective
    1) After modifying it to use on a PC you can't use it on the Xbox unless you modify it again; with an adapter you just plug it in
    2) Unless you have a spare USB cable and a roll of tape already, the cost of the parts exceeds the cost of the adapter

6. PJ2U2

PJ2U2 Member

If you have a spare cable (I have lots) and you parallel the USB with the Xbox plug you can use either or plug. Works great. And I prefer to build things as buy anyway.

7. DanandJen

DanandJen Regular member

Exactly my point! How many items do we buy where an extra cable comes included? LOADS! SO actually it is cost effective because I used all items from the house that I wouldn't use! Example...
    -Masking Tape (my dads from like 3 years ago!)
    -Xbox controller (the one my son broke for the extra plug so it switches out at the brekaway connector then back to usb)

So no I didn't spend a damn penny besides replacing my sons controller! Which is needed for my daughter anyway!

8. 223322

223322 Guest

Hey Xian you said you were an electrician for 17 YRS that must make you old like me!(lol). Just thought I'd comment on how cheap people are that they'd rather sit around and splice wires O.M.F.G. Thats hilarious. Time is money is the expression that comes to mind. Do you guys have like a crack habit you're supporting?

9. PJ2U2

PJ2U2 Member

I've been in consumer/comercial electronics repair for 15 years, a comercial draftsman 10 years before that. I like doing things with my hands. If time is money do you use and account for every minute of every day as money? Time is to be enjoyed. I can buy simple things like that. WHY? Isn't there enough junk thown out every day? I think using leftover parts to make something saves more than time and money, it save resources. The land fills will soon be full from all this throw away society we have. I say rebuild, reuse and learn someting new.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  10. 223322

223322 Guest

I second that emotion! People always find ways to create waste. I just couldn't be bothered myself! I'd be to busy using my new logitech gamepad and USB adapter from radioshack.

11. DanandJen

DanandJen Regular member

"Time is money"! Hah! You guys are obviously hourly employees! We corporate salary men (with families I might add) need things to do to keep busy in the off time. Although crack would kill alot of time, I'm just not into the whole lose your job thing! But good lookin out though!

12. GiantMike

GiantMike Regular member

i tried this and tapped it all off so no wires are touching each other and it still wont work.

i donwloaded the driver and it says it installed correctly. when i plug in my cord, it makes the connection sound effect then the dissconnection sound seconds later. it never shows up al connected on my computer. any suggestions ?

13. GiantMike

GiantMike Regular member

the controller by chance doesnt need power running to it does it ?

cause i dont think my usb ports have power. might this be a problem ?

14. PJ2U2

PJ2U2 Member

Yes there is voltage coming out of the USB port. 5vdc. Are you sure the controller works fine on an Xbox? If the computer is beeping when you plug it in that seems to indicate the port is working. Have you tried anything else using the USB port ? Check in system resources that the USB is working fine and no conflicts with IRQ or DMA. Test controller on XBox. If okay double check that the wires colors are matched corretly. The controller is a digital device with an internal processor, it may be bad ?? Let us know.

15. PJ2U2

PJ2U2 Member

Also what driver are you using ? I have had a couple give me problems. Do you have XBCD Setup program ? This will allow you to test each button to be sure it works, and ID the buttons for setup in the ControlMK program. I used paint to draw a controler. One with button IDs labeled for setup, and one blank so that I could label each control and its funtion for all the different games. So I wouldn't forget and others could learn to use it.

16. GiantMike

GiantMike Regular member

i have an external drive plugged into one of the usb ports and it works all the time. but when i plug in the controller, my computer doesnt recognise anything and even shuts down my ext. drive.

another thing is that im using XBCDv107 and it says it installed sucessfully.

the controller works on my xbox, also i have red to red, black to black, white to white, and green to green. the yellow is just hanging out. is their a ground wire that needs to be going to metal or something ?

17. DanandJen

DanandJen Regular member

Make absolutely sure all wires are staying connected! That is why the sounds for disconnect come up after the connect ones. This will happen over time with the controller if you dont wrap each connection seperatly, then wrap the whole thing. Even one little wire strand not connected properly will give you problems.

18. GiantMike

GiantMike Regular member

i tried it again. unwrapped it, sodered it and everything. retaped it, made sure nothing was touching, plugged it back in, still doesnt work.
    for some reason when i plug in the controller it automatically shuts down my external hard drive that is in a different usb.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  19. DanandJen

DanandJen Regular member

If you are not using a genuine microsoft xbox controller then you might have to add the values to the sys file for it. Try using a true usb viewing tool like VIEWUSB to see what values the usb port is reporting when you connect it. let me know what you come up with.

20. GiantMike

GiantMike Regular member

im using a genuine xbox controller and ive got usbview. when i connect the ext HD, it says device connected, but as soon as i plug in my controller, both ports say no device connected.