1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX DVD-ROM in PC

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by msb5150, Mar 16, 2003.

1. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I have read some guides at http://www.xbox-scene.com (I think that's the address) that mention replacing the standard XBOX dvd-rom with a replacement. The replacement drive is modified through some method(that's is described much better in the guides at the site mentioned)to make it read standard XBOX dvd's(from the outside in) My question is does the dvd-rom read the disks from the outside in or does the XBOX itself take the date from the dvd-rom and translate it? If in fact the dvd-rom is responsable for this process someone could(possibly) install one in a pc and vastly simplify the process of copying XBOX games. Is my suggestion/idea plausible or do I need to read more, comments, donations, anything of negotiable value accepted(though for now only comments expected)
    EDIT: the URL given was incorrect.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2003
  2. hoppers

hoppers Regular member

the xbox drive has not got a pc compatible power connector..

3. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I realize that standard xbox drives will not work in a pc, but the modified replacement dvd-roms(moded to read xbox discs) do have standard(pc) power connectors. I really wish to know if the dvd-rom reads the data or does the xbox sort of decode the data. because I think if the dvd drives read the data it could be possible and very easy to copy xbox games.

4. eug2k

eug2k Member

I visit xbox-scene often and do not believe there are any tutorials that describe how to replace a xbox dvd-rom with a pc dvd-rom and be able to play originals on it. There are tutorials that describe replacing the xbox drive with a pc drive which will only run backups. There are also tutorials on how to connect a pc drive to the xbox to run backups while leaving the original drive to run originals. This requires leaving the xbox case open and swapping the ide cable between the 2 drives. There is also a tutorial somewhere (search xbox-scene forums) on how to install an xbox dvd-rom in a pc but there are no windows drivers for it. Maybe it is possible to use the drive in BeOS or something?

5. Xsoliman

Xsoliman Member

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/pcdvd.html describes some of the different features of an xbox dvd drive compared to a normal PC ide one

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/gdfs.html
    descrives the xbox dvd format

The xbox game contents are on the 2nd layer of the DVD-9 disk
    and is reportedly stored on the outside of the disk inwards
    (as opposed to PC dvd storage and dvd movie data, that starts from the inside outwards (and starts on layer 1))

There are reports that the disk spins backwards in the xbox dvd drive to read the game contents
    Can anyone 100% confirm this ?

Presumably the various commercial DVD copy utilities that claim to be able to copy an XBOX dvd in a normal pc dvd drive are lying

Back to the subject of putting an xbox dvd drive in a pc and sorting out the wiring etc
    Would it then be possible to get the PC to 'rip' the raw data of the xbox game contents
    NB This is all purely for infomation only and is not condoning or encouraging illegal copying etc.

Most people just use the xbox dvd drive in an modified xbox to pull the game contents off the disks.
    The above discussions mere question whether it would be possible to do it a different way

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  6. Xsoliman

Xsoliman Member

Follow up question about xbox dvd-9 disks

Are there any pc based dvd utilities that can give information on the contents of xbox dvd disks ?

DVDDecrypter in ISO mode will show that it is a 2 layer disk

But will only see the normal pc /dvd movie layout (from the inside out, starting from side 1)

I guess if you want full info about the contents of an xbox dvd disk, you should examine it in a modified xbox running linux ?