1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox external HD through USB??

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by jplasmid, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jplasmid

jplasmid Member

I have a 500 gig Seagate Free Agent USB 2.0 hard drive. I have plugged the hard drive into the xbox usb port but the ps3 does not recognize it in the menu. Can someone please tell me how I can make the xbox recognize my external hard drive?

2. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

so you plug in a usb hard drive into an xbox, and your ps3 does not recognize it in its menu....?????????????......

how confusing can a post be.......

3. jplasmid

jplasmid Member

I have an xbox elite. No PS3. Sorry for the confusion. I never was able to resolve this problem. Does the PS3 allow simple plug-in compatability in this way? If it does perhaps I will get one...the xbox does not seem to allow it.

4. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

you are posting in the xbox forum....

try posting in the xbox360 and ps3 forum

i believe xbox 360 allows fat32 up to a certain partition size (37 gig or something)

5. brettus

brettus Member

I have had a similar problem with an external 160gb hdd formatted to fat32 with fat32 formatter.
    My ps3 reads no problems everytime but the xbox360 seems to work intermittently, ie: I will have the hdd plugged in and turn the xbox360 on and it wont recognise its there, doesn't matter what port its plugged into(front or back usb's).
    I have to restart the machine for it to work but other times I can turn it on with it plugged in and it will recognise it!
    I have found that I need to leave it unplugged, turn the xbox360 on and then plug it in for it to work.
    Very very annoying when you have to plug and unplug it everytime you want to use it...

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

jplasmid / brettus - Good grief. Why are you going on about xbox 360's and PS3's in an old type xbox forum ?. Please be more careful where you post in future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.