1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Flashing Green (ONLY GREEN!)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by youngwun0, Nov 26, 2006.

1. youngwun0

youngwun0 Regular member

Hello everyone, So here's the deal i have an xbox unmodified and never been opened... Recently i ran into a problem... when turning on my xbox i cannot eject the drive, the video wont show & the big green button is flashing green and won't stop! I have been doing a bit of researching online and have found many people with a similar problem where they had their xbox flashing (green and red) But that is not the case with me... My xbox flashes no green it just don't start or open and it only flashes non-stop green, I've never opened or messed with the insides so i'm not so sure how this has happened but i was wondering if anyone here has had this problem before and can point me in the right direction as to how i can fix this myself as my box is no longer under warranty ??? :(

Thanks much.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  2. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

sounds like a bad cable between the console and the TV, the XBOX is notorious for having issues if the cable isn't the correct one (a Microsoft one) or damaged.

kc

3. youngwun0

youngwun0 Regular member

O rly ? Well thanks for the reply bro, i actually found this xbox so i don't know it's history but i will see if i can purchase a cable or borrow a working one from a friend to see if it's worth keeping or whatnot, thanks again =)

4. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

no problem, some cables actually cause the XBOX to turn on/off/on/off constantly. it's quiet annoying to people who swear their cable isn't the problem and they bring it in for repair and when i connect it to my cable it works perfectly.

kc

5. youngwun0

youngwun0 Regular member

Hey KC, what cables is this that your talking about ? I'm on a budget here and i dont know anyone with a xbox is it the white,yellow & red cABLE or the main power one ? I also forgot their names lol

6. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

yes the AV (audio/video) cables.

kc

7. youngwun0

youngwun0 Regular member

Oh ok bro, thanks ALOT i'll try and get a cable hopefully it works i noticed not many people have JUST the blinking green light (usually they have orange or red with it) also i read on another forum some guy said this

"just go and get a new one. If not there really isn't much you can do to fix it since it's internal to the OS from what their troubleshooting page says."

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  8. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

well in theory a bad AV package is supposed to blink green/orange but I've found allot of times they can cause just the green flashing. a bad BIOS can cause a blinking green as well but i haven't seen that but very few times and it was a FRAG'd chip and when reflashed it fixed the problem.

not saying the AV package will defiantly fix yours but it's worth a shot.

kc

9. youngwun0

youngwun0 Regular member

aaah i see, well i don't think this xbox has even been opened or flashed before so i doubt it was a fragged chip BUT if it happened to be a fragged chip would you happen to have a link/guide/tutorial as to how to reflash it ? Also is this "bad BIOS" that you said the same as what the guy was speaking of when he said it was "internal to the OS" problem ?

Sorry fro all the questions bro i just like to get a better understanding of things sometimes i appreciate your prompt replies and help!

10. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

can't help you with a chip unless i know what kind of chip it is, they all flash differently and with different flash files.

it's pretty easy to tell if it's ever been opened, there are two stickers on the bottom of the box that have to be cut out from around the screws they cover, if they are both in tact, the box has not been opened.

if the AV pack isn't the problem in your case you can open the box and unplug the IDE cable and try to reboot and see if you get an error message on screen or it still just flashes green.

you may also try leaving it on for about 4 or 5 min then try to hit eject and open the tray. a hung up DVD drive can sometimes cause this when an unrecognizable disc is in, just a thought.

kc

11. youngwun0

youngwun0 Regular member

Ok, Just checked and all the stickers seem to be there except the one in the very middle although i don't see any screws there so i doubt it's important, also everything inside seems to be intact nothing loose or anything. Anyway i think i will try the AV cable change you suggested later since i do remember these cables being the ones from my old xbox which fell and broke... i'll leave my results here, Thanks again bro!

12. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Just a FYI.. the flash green with nothing else happening can be a failed bios.. coma console variant. It's possible to fix it with a chip, but uneconomic considering the price of a working box these days. It can also be a failed ide controller or bad ram..whatever, it's normally a scrapper with these symptoms unless you have a good junkbox...
    If you have an xbox that fell it's always worth changing over the dvd drives, as they can cause weird faults as well, (as mentioned above re: unknown disks) as the green flashing is the usual "loading disk" message.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2006
  13. youngwun0

youngwun0 Regular member

But could this bad bios come from absolutely nowhere ? I mean it hasn't been opened doesn't appear to be modded (judging by the stickers still intact) plus the pieces and box is in pretty much good condition so it doesn't appear as though it's been dropped....

14. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

the BIOS is simply a 1 or a 0 stored on a chip they can go bad, they can loose data from electronic interference, happens millions of times a day to PCs all over the world, your box is just a 700MHz PC with a different OS installed. it could well be that your IDE cable has gone bad, your DVD drive is fubar or any number of other things, all we can do is make educated guesses here to try and help.

if all else fails send it to a modder and have them have a look at it for you.

kc

15. youngwun0

youngwun0 Regular member

Alright well i know I'm about a month and a half too late but i just thought I'd update this as i really haven't had much time, anyway i decided to get up and buy me a brand new ac cable (or whatever it's called) and a av cable for my TV there was 1 change it didn't just start blinking right away like it used to but after pressing the disc tray button it started to blink and blink and didn't open, also there is still absolutely no video on the screen so i guess that crosses that possibility out after putting about $18.00 down the drain, I'm just about to fling the box out the window :p

16. sdc1983

sdc1983 Regular member

I'm actually having a similar problem with my ver.1 xbox. It came down to the hdd failed and now I'm in the process of installing a chip and replacing the DVD drive as well. Apparently the old xbox's don't last that great from what I was told and that if changing cables and stuff don't work then it has to be modded and flashed for it to ever work again.
    You may be having a different issue with yours but just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there.

17. youngwun0

youngwun0 Regular member

haha thanks for the response and help bro but i don't think i will be wasting another dime on this box i'll probably just hit it with a sledge hammer to get my $18 worth and throw it off my roof and into the garbage.

18. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

Don't throw that box away! You can probably get your moneys worth by selling it on ebay. If not, I'll buy it from you. 99% of the "dead and worthless" xboxes are repairable if you know how to fix it or are willing to take the time.