1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox flashing red and orange

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by R.A.G.S, Jul 10, 2004.

1. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Hi Guys, I would appreciate if someone could help me with this problem I am having with my xbox. to help you guys to help me I will try to give all the information I can.

Ok the problem started when I modded the xbox. After installing the modchip I tried to boot the xbox and it kept comming with flashing red and orange eject light. So I have now removed the modchip completely and I have the origional harddrive init. Now when I boot the xbox the following happens:

I press the power button and the green light on the eject button flashes once and then it shutsdown with a beep. It then boots itself and the green light on the eject button flashes about 3times and it shuts down with a beep. The xbox now boots itself up again but this time the eject button flashes red and orange but the xbox does not power its self off. During this I there is no picture on the tv. I can still press the eject button to open the disc tray and if I put a disc in the tray and close it I can hear the disc spinning and the xbox trying to access the information on the disc.

Can someone please help me with this.

2. orbitor

orbitor Regular member

what bios version do you have on the mod-chip and which chip is it? I had the same problem but I cant remember what caused it. Also what ver xbox do you have. also try booting the xbox with the new hd instead of the orig. and make sure the video cable is hooked up correctly.

3. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

4. orbitor

orbitor Regular member

hmm not sure about that I didnt have to solder anything I just cant remember what I did to fix the problem. I would try removing the hd completely and see if the same thing happens. I will look and see if I can find anything to help. or if I can remember.

5. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

thanks mate, in the meanwhile i'll try to get hold of another HD and try it with that. is it possible to boot xbox without a HD?

6. orbitor

orbitor Regular member

Flashing Red and Orange (Amber) Video display problem, check cord. Also try switching to another video mode by changing the cable. I currently have an Xbox that displays this error when connected to the standard composite video cable but boots fine when connected to a RF adapter cord.

Tries To Boot Three Times and then starts flashing red and green. Also Known as "Christmas Lights" In my experience this is due to a failed mod chip and broken traces. I have also seen it on two stock Xboxes doing the same thing.

Found those 2 will see if I can find anything else.

7. orbitor

orbitor Regular member

yeah it will boot. it will give you error lights but it should be different than the turning on and off thing.

8. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Hi, if you have a look at the following link http://www.x-scene.com/articles/red-orange.php, the page will open to a page showing a mod on the xbox motherboard. In the first picture look for the letters C7D2. You will see a Thermoster right next to these letter does anyone know the value this thermoster as this has fallen off during a mod and I now need to replace it.

9. reidarma

reidarma Member

Hi. I am having the same problem as well (red and orange). The traces around pin5 seems to be ok.
    Did you manage to fix this?

10. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

no I am still having the problem......I dnt know what on earth it is, but there doesnt seem to be alot about it on the net. everybody keeps talking about FRAG..thats flashing red and green, let me know if you have any lucking in fixing it...i will inform on here if i get any success

11. corpsej

corpsej Member

I have been working on the same problem. The xbox was never modded, but I have gone over the mobo with a mag. glass several times to make sure there are no broken traces or solder splashes. Tried that tut on xbox-scene
    http://www.x-scene.com/articles/red-orange.php
    but it did not correct the problem - the xbox frags when I bypass the circuit as shown.
    I tried a couple of standard a/v cables and a hd cable - that did not work either.
    I will continue to work on this - for I am a loser and have nothing better to do on a saturday night.
    If anyone finds any answers please share!

12. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Have you looked to see if your tracks are still intact. You should also look for solder splashes, look with a magnifing glass at your board as the littleist piece of solder will cause havoc. Make sure your video cable is plugged in and ok, try someone elses cable to see if this works.

13. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

Hy.Well,I had the same problem.The problem is that u didn´t install your chip right.Try to reinstall it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  14. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Hi, thanks for the advice I wll try that. What if i have removed the modchip, will i still get this problem?

15. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

Well actually u need another chip,cause that means that you´re bios is dead.Did you deleted by mistake some .bin files,or did u had a short circuit,cause that may be the reason?Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2004
  16. neiljohn

neiljohn Member

I have the same problem although my button stops flashing when take TV connection out. It started a month ago and rectified itself. But it happened again yesterday and no joy this time. If anyone has had this problem - starting 3 times and no display and managed to fix it please let me know how....

17. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

Amigo,it aint flashing,cuz when the connection to tv is out it conflicts ith the blinking from the other and the tv connection dominates

18. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Anybody got a xbox motherboard they throwing out that i can have?

19. aaronmont

aaronmont Member

i have had the same problem. about a year ago, my xbox, which i have never tried to add any chips to, started acting up. It started up, shut down, started up , shut down, and finally started up blinking red and oragne i think with no picture on the tv or anything. well, i have since but a new xbox and have forgotten about this. well, today i said to myself, what the heck, i have nothing better to do, im gonna try to fix it. so...I took it apart, knowing nothing about what to do or nothing about electronics. I found that in one of the internal fans, there was a big clot of dust, so i cleaned it out. as soon as i did that, i plugged it in, and bingo, it worked. well, i turned it off, and turned it back on, and bingo, it started acting up again. so, i dont have the slightest clue what is wrong with it, jsut though I would tell my little story. If anyone has any info on how to fix this, it would be much appreciated.