1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Flashing Red and Orange?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by matt87622, Jul 28, 2006.

1. matt87622

matt87622 Member

Hi, My xbox is flashing Red and Orange, ive heard this is the result of a broken trace(easy enough to fix), any ideas on how to spot the trace?, i have a multi-meater and a fair amount of knoladge about my xbox and computer hardware. http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/red-orange.php

2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

turn on xbox, what do you see?
    Do you see xbox loads bios?

3. matt87622

matt87622 Member

with the microsoft AV cables you hear a sound pop each reboot(it reboots 2 times, then starts flashing) and the screen stays blank

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

So there is nothing shown on TV from the begging when turn on xbox, isn't there?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006
  5. matt87622

matt87622 Member

no video signal what so ever

6. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

if you hear the sound when turn on, then the connector to AV cable in the back of xbox is back Or something else on motherboard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006
  7. matt87622

matt87622 Member

Yeah i already know something is damaged on the motherboard please see my first post, any ideas how to go about fixing it, the board has never been soldered on, it is a revision 1.2 i think, it dosnt have solder over the LPC header and the date and board layout fit the 1.2 release. Thx 4 ur help.

8. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

hmm.. I dont really know how to fix it. But you could try to move AV cable up and down (where it connects to the back of xbox) to see if video will show on TV.

I have one xbox with that problem. Just try to move the cable at the connector.

9. matt87622

matt87622 Member

What you are thinking of is Green and Orange Flashing, not Red and Orange- this is always the result of a broken mobo trace, the box is my current project if worse comes to worse i will buy a new mobo off ebay with matched hdd for like $50, i also plan to put in a Xodus Xenium Gold SP with solderless adapter, Thx 4 ur hlp.

10. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

No.
    Even you got a new hdd and modchip, it won't grante that xbox will work again.

11. matt87622

matt87622 Member

Yes it will, the only thing left is the PSU(which is good) and the DVD-rom drive(which dosnt matter cause i got a few extra xbox ones) the drive gets power and ejects, the only thing left minus the board and HDD would be the IDE cable(got thousands in the closet) i wouldn't even need the HD if it wernt for the fact that it is locked to the mobo.

12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

let say if motherboard is bad, how are you going to fix it?

13. matt87622

matt87622 Member

if i cant find the bad trace(s) to solder a wire to bridge over it, i am going to phisically replace the mobo with a working one, it is easy all u need is a T-10 and T-20 driver and some knoladge on electronics.

14. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

if you replace the motherboard, then the old hdd will not work on this new motherboard.

15. matt87622

matt87622 Member

i dont care since i dont have much of anything on it anyway, im going to buy the mobo and hdd that is locked to it, they sell it as a set on ebay

16. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

well how do you know they are combo. By the time you get them, it is to late to return.

17. matt87622

matt87622 Member

they usally give you 7 days after you get it, that is why it is important to look at the sellers feedback before you buy it. besides you get buyer protection up to something like $500 when you use paypal, i have used the buyer protection once before and it is very easy to get a refund in the case of a misrepresentation.

18. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

ok, you are good to go then. Just do it your way. You will fix your xbox.

For me, I would buy an used xbox from gamestop.

19. gsaav

gsaav Member

I have the same problem, but my XBox have never been opened before. I read the red/orange tutorial you mentioned, but it´s not the same problem than mine.

Before I solder the pins, i measure the continuity and the trace is connected. There would be no case to resolder when the actual solders and trace are OK.

Please keep posting if you found a solution.
    PS. My XBox is versión 1.0 too

Thanks in advance
    Gerard

20. matt876

matt876 Member

well i beleave mine to be rev1.2 it would be 1.0 except no chipset cooler, i currently have another xbox (my friend is letting me use it cause he got the 360) but he said "DONT MESS WITH IT" i plan on buying a new system board and matched hdd for mine off ebay. it is like $50, they have come down to $99 used in the game store i plan on doing a hard mod after i get it running