1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox flashing red/green

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by pong3, May 25, 2003.

1. Free_911

Free_911 Member

Before you go buy another box, have a friend who knows what they are doing look at it.... just to make sure you didn't miss anything.

2. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

I dont know anyone else with the expertise to further dive into the board itself if its damaged. It would be less hassle to just buy another. That XBOX would be nice to continue research as far as troubleshooting, but I cant be productive with my primary focus swirling around this issue. So thanks for the help and assistance everyone. Ill continue to post

3. pong3

pong3 Guest

Does anyone elses DVD-drive not open as well? It would suck to have to buy a new v1.2 xbox and my modchip would be worthless, so if anyone thinks they have comes up with a solution just post.

4. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

My DVD/ROM wont open either.

5. 1800gumby

1800gumby Member

before you go and buy a new box check all your connections. I managed to fix my box by replacing that large grey cord going from the hard to the dvd to the motherboard. chances are you've snapped a wire in either that or the the power lead trying swapping each of them with one out of your computer and see and what happens it worked for me hopefully it will help you's out too.

6. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

Thanx 1800gumby,

Ive been busy last few days, and have not found the time to jump on it, but Ill do that later today.

7. hagar

hagar Member

I had a simelar problem with my xbox, did not start up, green light flashing, did not open my dvd drive, all what I read before in this post.

My xbox is modded with a xcuter 2 and a 80 GB HD so first I took my mod chip out and it started up with a mesage that it needs repair, this is I think normal because of the not standart HD.
    I changed my mod chip and it started direct and is working like before.

I hope that this can bring some light for others who has these problems.

Greetings Hagar

8. pong3

pong3 Guest

I kept messing around with my xbox and if you take out the dvd drive completely and remove the IDE cable from everything, it boots up as normal...I'm not sure what this can mean, but it may show some hope that it can still work.

9. 1800gumby

1800gumby Member

if removing your IDE cable from your dvd fixes the porblem then you've either damaged your IDE or your dvd try using a diffrent IDE and check that you haven't bent a connection at the back of your dvd where it plugs in. If these don't work can you borrow an xbox dvd drive from someone and see if that fixes the problem

10. pong3

pong3 Guest

I went out and bought a new IDE cable, so that can't be the problem, but I will check to see if everything is working on the dvd drive, thanks. Also, my friend has a multi-meter to check to see if the power is getting to where it is supposed to.

11. simonT

simonT Member

Hey Everyone, Just spent 3 hours trying to work out why box flashed green and orange, turned out I didn't have the video out attached!!!

Hope its useful! for all those he are installing away from the TV.

12. dav.id

dav.id Member

i have a version 1.1, i got a matrix chip, installed it would only work if u were practically forcing all your weight onto it i then soldered the holes up to make better contact used a larger screw and it was rock solid wouldnt budge booted up everytime with executer bios no probs.
    i installed the evo dash to the harddrive and it was working great UNTIL i burnt my first backup on dvdr booted from reset i had the red and green flashing and the xbox needs service screen i viewed forums everyone was saying its an allignment issue right ok xbox turned upside down and shook switched back on and yep sure enough everything was ok again i kept bootin it and it kept working next day i booted the xbox again still no probs several times,i then put the back up dvdr in again and its just gone straight to the xbox needs service screen and red and green flashing even now when you remove the chip it still flashes red and green and u get the same screen how can it be an allignment problem or bad bios when the bios is stored on the matrix ??? its now totally messed up any ideas or inputs would be welcome !
    cheers

13. dav.id

dav.id Member

wongies right !! it is an alignment issue like he said u rename the dashboard exe file so when the chip is not present or correctly aligned the standard xbox bios looks for the original dashboard file, cant find it because its been renamed so thats the reason for the error message in my case i screwed the chip down hard until it gave a short flash or green in the alignment both switches up mode still gave error screen but when u switch the first to 1 it boots no probs !

14. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

Welp, Im off today to get another BOX to implant my chip to. Im still interested in troubleshooting the original box I have , but any tips on the new BIOS upgrade that anyone can give me before I crack this one open.

I would like just a good suite of tools that are bundled and not just across websites.

Faithful Modders, holla at me

XiX

15. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

Ok im back with another BOX and preparing to install the chip once again.

16. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

oh yea,

Do I really have 2 use the washer? I have a longer normal screw that im going to use to tighten the chip.

17. wongie_jm

wongie_jm Regular member

i think you need a slightly wider screw, not longer. And remember to clean the contact points on the BOX and the D0 point, i got a few "xbox needs service message" when they were all covered with dirt, i think it messes up the connection.

18. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

Ive got the v. 1.2 now and know it wont work with tht board, so Im going to trade it with someone else I know so I can obtain that 1.1 or below.

This sux

19. wongie_jm

wongie_jm Regular member

you can check the BOX version on the back of the xbox case. Thats only if you can return the v1.2 and search for another one again.

20. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

yes you need the washer between the chip and the board, it makes up for the clearance that the pogo pins take up, if you dont use the washer, you'll never make contact at all the pins. also make sure you have a true 1.2 board and not a 1.1 with no solder in the holes. I have seen these already nd you can fill the holes with solder and make it work, check my guide for filling the holes in the user submitted guides forum. if you want a bigger screw, get a panhead #4x1/2 inch. it allows you to really crank down on it and get it nice and tight in there.