1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox flashing red/green

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by pong3, May 25, 2003.

1. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

Excellent Darthnip, I will do that,

Jumping on that 2night. I will also check that article posted in the forum.

XIX

2. pong3

pong3 Guest

Cradl3 if you want to try to fix your old xbox, this might help...reflash your chip using the evox d6 blue bios. Then remove the dvd drive from the IDE cable and install the chip. Turn the power on, you may have to hold down the chip in order to get the blue X. Make sure it is alligned correctly. I think there is a dvd problem, that is why it boots up 3 times.

3. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

whatever it turns out to be, come back and post what you find, or how you got it fixed (or not). it's always good to keep the info coming in, in case someone else has similar problems. good luck.

4. pong3

pong3 Guest

OK, i fixed it completely, i got the normal screen to come up with the 3 options of settings etc. It was definetly a dvd problem because whenever i boot up my xbox the dvd drive makes a loud noise 2x, but then plays as normal. I haven't put a game in because i'm afraid it might blow the whole thing. I think my drive just came back to life for some odd reason. I hope this info helps.
    Quick question- Can you play regular xbox games when the matrix bios are taking over?
    Also, is there anyway to fix a broken dvd drive such as mine, because i dont want to pay for a brand new one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2003
  5. Soldier_I

Soldier_I Member

Pong3, yes you can play genuine xbox games when the matrix bios is activated. I don't know the exact problem with your dvd drive so its difficult to give advice on fixing it unless its a laser problem, they can be tweaked but that also depends on the make of the dvd drive...

Since reading these posts after my last post i have some input:- I never get the 'xbox needs service screen' i just get the normal red and green flashing after attempting to boot 3 times. I am sure it has nothing to do with the IDE cable connecting the motherboard to the dvd drive unless you've been heavy handed with it. i don't understand why people are thinking its down to the dvd drive cus it either works or it doesn't. If you think it is then detach the IDE cable and reboot it (the xbox doesn't need the dvd drive connected to boot to the evox dashboard). Now, i am sure its a connetion problem between the matrix chip and the motherboard. I couldn't get mine to boot at all yesterday, i done everything as normal shaked the xbox - still wouldn't work, levering the chip up on the left side (very gently) always normally works - but this to failed to get it going. So, i then gently lifted the cradles out leaving everything connected, tried again - no good. Switched the dip swithes on the chip to disable the matrix and it worked, switched it back - no good. I repeated this 6 times and everytime it booted no probs to the MS dash with the chip disabled but would not boot when enabled, so i done what i advised you all to do in my last post - removed the chip sprayed and cleaned the points on the motherboard and the chip (especially the d0 pin) screwed it back down and it now works perfectly every time! (For another few weeks anyway lol)

Also, i've got some paper folded up very small and positioned underneath the front left corner of the chip to help keep the chip flush on the board!

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2003
  6. pong3

pong3 Guest

I just got the xbox working again. It can play regular games finally. I have aquestions about the next step.
    Do you have to have evox dashboard setup in order to play a burned dvd movie/game?

Also, i have the standard thompson dvd drive, what discs does it read best?(cd-r, cd-rw, etc.)

7. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

No you don't have to have EvoX installed to play backups and the Thomson drive will not read CDR as a general rule and is usually a bit fussy about CDRW. Use DVDR whenever possible and burn slowly. If you must use CD's it will have to be good quality CDRW's again burned slowly.

8. Soldier_I

Soldier_I Member

Yes you have to have the evox dash enabled to play burned software or movies. The chip enables you to play the burned games/movies and the chip is operated through the evox dashboard.

The majority of xbox drives will not read cd-r format, always use cd-rw. Both +/- formats of dvdr & dvdrw also work.

In thompson drives the laser is fairly easy to tweak, e-mail me and i'll show you how exactly to do it.

9. pong3

pong3 Guest

thanks, what will "tweaking the laser" actually do?
    I have another question about evox dashboard, If i am going to put yes next to the static IP, do i put my own IP address below it? It is a dumb question, but i don't want to mess up.

10. Soldier_I

Soldier_I Member

You don't put the ip of your pc in there, you enter the xbox ip.

Tweaking the laser will basically make the laser stronger. If your dvd can't already read cd-rw's then you can tweak the laser and it will.

11. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

Soldier. If you have to EvoX dashboard to play games and movies. How come I don't have EvoX dash and CAN play games and movies. And how come my XBOX and EVERY XBOX with a a Samsung drive DOES read CDR and between 1 and 2 out of every 5 Philips DO read CDR but Thompsons won't. Most new XBOX's come with the Samsung now anyway.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2003
  12. dav.id

dav.id Member

the chip stores a bios which unlocks the xbox to accept backup games / software etc or else how do u manage to install the evo dash from a cdrw in the first place the evo dash has nothing to do with letting u play backup games its the bios stored inside the modchip, also all these red green flashing issues are all becuase the matrix isnt lined up it can be a fraction of a mm difference between it working perfect or not booting i suggest u use the nut and bolt method or u can use a much larger screw and the female part of a standard sattelite/cable metal signal connector place the larger screw inside it and this really does clamp the chip right down into place :)

13. Soldier_I

Soldier_I Member

I mis-understood the question... I thought he was asking wether he needed the chip enabled - Which obviously he does... And as for the cd-r topic... If you read my post properly you would have noticed a work i used called MAJORITY! If you go and look it up in the dictionary you will see that it means the same thing as what your trying to say... Most will not play cd-r's... See! We all make mistakes! Sorry for the confusion... :)

14. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

Hey kats,

I purchased the new box, found that it had a v2 bios, traded it in with a friend and got the old, then disassembled it. Placed the chip on and i swear this one is 5 times tougher to align than the one that reboots 3 times. Ive managed to get a green light maybe 3 times and cant seem keep it aligned properly when screwing it tighter. The red light sure dosnt have a problem blinking... :) Anyway what would you guys recommend because Ive got the manuals and all and Ive focused on the alignment time after time but no luck..

holla back yawl

XIX

15. pong3

pong3 Guest

Try to look through the allignment holes on the matrix, and also while putting it into the xbox, check to see if the pogo pins are directly in place...if you need to, push down on it and power the xbox up.

16. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

if you're using the factory screw, you could change tothe larger #4x1/2" panhead. it really lets you crank it down and get it good and tight. also if it moves when you tighten the screw down, get another washer just like thone you are using as the spacer and use it on top. they tend to lock the chip in place as you tighten it. get it pretty snug when you are lining it up, and dont take your hand off the chip, as soon as you get your green light, crank that baby down.

17. pong3

pong3 Guest

Soldier_I, Can you explain to me how you tweak the laser on the drive so it can read my cd-rw that has the evox dashboard on it? THanks

18. dav.id

dav.id Member

what version xbox have u got now cradle ?? if theres no solder in the holes its never gonna work properly, if u have got solder get some alcohol from a chemist and and clean all the pins and contact points use a small screwdriver or a really sharp blade and scratch lightly around the do to make better contact in my experience its usually because not all of the nine pins are making proper contact hold down on them firmly and switch on the xbox rem if its a v1.1 theres a split second of green then red flashin when its aligned correctly

19. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

Pong. Be VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY careful when you adjust the laser or you will end up with a dead XBOX. Notice how many very's I put in there. Thats for a reason. You only have to turn the screw on the pot a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY small amount. A quarter turn could be too much. Thats a QUARTER turn. The reason I keep repeating it is because I've seen too many people on here get ham fisted with laser adjustments and then come bacl and say they have killed their console. Also personally I would NOT do it without a multimeter. Anyway heres the guide for the Thomson http://images.xbox-scene.com/images...son-DVD-drive-laser-adjustment-procedure.pdf. It's PDF file with pictures and everything but you will need adobe acrobat to read it. Heres one for a Philips with a picture http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/philipspot.php and one for a Thomson without a picture http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/dvdtweak.php

20. pong3

pong3 Guest

Before I try this, would the whole system be dead or just the drive, that is if i turned the screw too tight. And would it really make that much of a difference in reading discs?