1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox flashing red/green

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by pong3, May 25, 2003.

1. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

Yes it can make a difference in reading discs if done properly but it isn't 100% guranteed to work and if you turn it too much then you would kill the drive not the XBOX but unless you can get a cheap compatible drive (which isn't always easy) then it might aswell be the whole thing. Remember turn it a VERY VERY VERY small amount. A quarter of ONE turn can be too much and I really wouldn't do this without measuring it properly with a mulitmeter. Really don't do it if you are unsure about it because it's a very sensitive thing, but if you don't mind the risk then thats up to you.

2. pong3

pong3 Guest

Thanks for the link, i have a multimeter, and i also opened the drive before, so i dont think it would be too hard.

3. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

1.1 is the BIOS version of the Model I have. Its just tougher on this one for some reason. The other that had the major problems was easy to align.

4. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

Ok today I will get the LPC points filled today to have a more successful chance of aligning it, because everyone who dosnt know already that version 1.1 is harder to align that 1.0. This will save you the pain of trying to make it work without because believe me, ive attempted for over 8 hours. I got a green light flashing 3 times on the chip during that whole ordeal.

I will let everyone know my status shortly.

XiX

5. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

It's really bad that they sell these no solder mods without warning people. A lot might buy them thinking it's an easy DIY job and it will save them the money but it usually turns into a nightmare. I can mod an XBOX in 15 mins start to finish with a standard £8 solder mod, and it does everything all the other mods do. Doesn't make sense to struggle forever with a no solder mod just to save having to solder.

6. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

Yea Mod master, It's not a piece of cake all the time.
    Im central time, and wont have my chip modded until after 5:00 today so I probably will make my follow up post concerning the installation tomorrow morning or later tonight.

Im still wanting to focus on troubleshooting the previous XBOX (v1.0) I started on as well to get it back booting properly.

7. dav.id

dav.id Member

ull see once you fill the holes with plenty of solder itll be easy to line up mines a version 1.1 i had exact same trouble they should sell a better fixing method with those chips too if ide a known it was gonna be this much hassle i would of opted for a executer lite if the matrix slips out of alignment again i think i probably will im sick of dreading switching the xbox on hoping not to be greated with all to familiar xbox needs service message

8. Hounddog

Hounddog Member

I Think the multi-restart, then flashing red light is a bad bios thing. I once had the error, and by simply taking out the matrix chip and flashing it with the programmer, i fixed it. There is hope for all of you who have this problem and would rather not spend the $ on a new box when you can fix it.

9. insomnet

insomnet Member

i have tried reflashing my matrix chip with over 4 bios's and it still has the 3 restart issue. And like Cradle, the xbox won't even boot without the modchip in it. Yesterday i spent my whole day trying to align the thing but i can get it to boot in any mode with a green light and everything. I belive i may have corupted my onboard xbox bios or really screwed up the d0 point or something. I am giving it one more day or i am replacing the motherboard and buying a Xecuter. Alos , i don't think there is anything wrong with my dvd rom drive becuase before, when it booted, it opened and played games and stuff. Any suggestions? thanks

10. pong3

pong3 Guest

Dont buy a new motherboard and chip, have you tried everything the forum said, like pressing on the matrix when you turn it on and looking at the pins to make sure they are making correct contact?

11. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

Ok peep this katz, the second XBOX now resets like my other, and it seemed to have done this when I removed that board from the system to redo the solder. Is it resetting because i havent filled the holes?

How would it know that the board was unattached?

12. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

My matrix caused my XBOX with do the 3 restart trick all the time until I soldered the 15 LPC points up.

The early models had these holes filled on but if they are empty it is really hard to allign the matrix chip so that it has all the necessary contact points.

13. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

So, we need to resolve the reason why it does what it does and so far Ive come to the theory that It will do it when you unscrew the board from the case because it has done it on two occasions with 2 XBOX's. I might need to purchase that 3rd just to make sure that I get this result everytime. Has anyone else successfuly removed it from the case and reassembled it to work properly? If not I would not recommend doing so. Although I have heard other stories of people soldering below the board.

14. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

hey m8

i had EXACTLY the same problem but with an Executer 2 Pro.

It bleeped and flash red and green or whatever (im colourblind ;p)

In the end, it turned out i had damaged my xbox console and had to replace it totally.
    I got a m8s warrenty sticker and stuff, took it off his console and stuck them on mine and got another one free as it was in the 1 year warrenty!!!

Good luck

15. Cradl3

Cradl3 Member

No No No,

That XBOX that yo damaged should be able to be recovered. I noticed some metal squares on the bottom of the Board where the Board it self grounds to the sorrounding metal inside the bottom of the case. Do you guys think this would have something to do with the XBOX having this issue? It might not be correctly pressed down or aligned. Someone hit me back with a reasonable reply :)..
    XIX

16. hodges129

hodges129 Member

PEOPLE SEEM TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME!!!!!!
    OK this flashing is turning in to a REAL PROBLEM!!!. I have installed my chip without a bios on it and the RED and GREEN FLASHING began. I took the chip out and rebooted my xbox and the LIGHT WAS STILL FLASHING RED and GREEN!!
    I FLASHED MY CHIP and the red and green flashing continued. I switched modes and and the lights were still flashing RED AND GREEN. by the way, the xbox booted twice, then on the third boot began the flashing. the chip was also aligned perfectly. CAN ANYBODY HELP?????
    email me at lilludacris191@hotmail.com

17. kompleet

kompleet Member

Hi guys.

My Xbox started doing the 2-beep, flashing thing today. Just like you described, it twice tries to start and then beeps, then starts a third time a flashes. I haven't modded it, or even opened the case.

However, you guys are talking about it flashing red/green. Mine flashes red/orange(amber)

Do any of you know what that means?

18. thespaz14

thespaz14 Guest

I have a problem whenever i put a game in my xbox it puts a circleular scratch on my game. anyone know how to fix it?

19. Kramit

Kramit Member

My dvd-drive will not open. How do i get my game that's stuck? I have error 12, anyone knows what it is?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2003
  20. pong3

pong3 Guest

check this...http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/explanation_of_error_codes.htm

its got a bunch of error codes and defines what is wrong.