1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox FTP Issues!!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by tippytip, Mar 17, 2005.

1. tippytip

tippytip Member

Ok I've read a million threads about FTPing to the xbox and none have helped me figure this out yet.
    My current set up is as follows:
    XBOX:
    Version = 1.0
    Chip = xenium ice
    Dash = evox 3935
    Bios = M7
    Settings:
    Setup Network YES
    Use Static IP YES
    IP 192.168.0.2
    Subenetmask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DNS 0.0.0.0
    DNS 0.0.0.0
    Setup Delay 5
    Skip Setup NO

FTP:
    Enable YES
    Password xbox

PC:
    OS Windows XP
    IP 192.168.0.1
    Subnetmask 255.255.255.0

Ok that's my setup up and I'm using a crossover cable. I've tried doing the router deal using a straight through cable and of course I switched my IP settings to reflect when I did that. I have yet to get this to work at all. I can't even ping the xbox. I understand that I have to save the settings and then reboot the xbox before trying to connect. I have read every post on earth. I'm hoping that someone has some info that might actually get this thing to work. I can basically do everything with my xbox except FTP into it or out of it. Not sure if the NIC card has maybe gone bad and I don't know of any real way to test it. The light actually comes on when a cable is connected to it and the PC acknowledges that it is connected to a networ. I'm currently in a position or location where I cannot try to play a game online due to firewalls and such so I cannot test it that way. I have played halo online through tunnelling software and such so I knew that the nic card used to work at least. If anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated. I've been racking my brain on this one for a long time.

2. mdsup

mdsup Guest

if you connect through a router you do not need to change the settings...the router will automatically generate a ip for your xbox.

you can always try a different ftp client

3. tippytip

tippytip Member

If I connect through a router I have to change the gateway on the xbox to reflect the router's IP address and I have also tried both DHCP and STATIC settings with the router. I am trying to set it up without the use of the router. Thanks for the response though. I have yet to be able to get any closer to accomplishing my goal of being able to FTP. As far as using another FTP client:
    The only question I have with that is that I should still be able to ping my xbox I think anyway. But I will try it anyway cause it's the only thing I havn't tried yet.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  4. tippytip

tippytip Member

Please someone help!!!!!!!!!!

5. tippytip

tippytip Member

Come on XBOX Gurus throw me a bone plase =)

6. bribreeza

bribreeza Member

i connect my xbox with a crossover cord, when i do this is says its connected, then when i use smartFTP, it says its not connected, and i have all the right I.P adress and everything,

7. BR7

BR7 Regular member

What FTP client are you using tippy?

8. tippytip

tippytip Member

Well I have tried cuteftp, flashfxp, ws_ftp, and a few other. I have also tried using explorer. My big question is whether or not I should be able to ping the xbox or not because I can't.

9. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

try going to download.com grab a copy of coreFTP. thats pretty simple to use. And unlike flashfxp it's free.

Also try these settings.
    Xbox
    DHCP: Disabled
    Static IP: 192.168.1.200
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP:192.168.1.1
    DNS1:195.159.0.100
    DNS2:195.159.0.200
    Login: Xbox
    Password: Xbox

PC
    Click select to use the following IP address.
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

maybe try them. they worked for me.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  10. joschez

joschez Regular member

I got problems too with flash xp and qwix, they do not read my xbox. I have been troubleshooting it for about 1 week, and I cannot not make a connection. I get a connection timeout error. Help!

11. note2self

note2self Guest

This sucks... I've been reading tons of forums and tried everything on this one, and I can't get it to work. I'm using SmartFTP as my FTP client (if anyone wants to try it) and it's free and easy to use. I'm also using a router because when I tried to connect using a crossover, it wouldn't connect at all...but then again, it's still not working, but I get a signal now. It acts like it's going to connect, but then it times out. If anyone can figure something out please post! Thanks.

12. nautdilly

nautdilly Member

Ok I need help I dont get it. I got the xbox ftp thing to work perfectly and backed up to my games. Suddenly I try now it, It will keep timing out. It will connect then suddenly timeout in the process of backing up so I have to keep restarting the xbox then resume the rip. But thats annoying can anyone tell me why it keeps timing out now? I have tried several programs and same problem it keeps timing out while in the process of ripping.

13. Dark_Myth

Dark_Myth Member

Geuss what! I have the answer to your problem!...........Ok that was a lie, but I have some info that may help ;) I used an auto ininstaller (Xaviers autoinstaller) to load EVOX on to my Xbox using a disc and FTP and everything worked GREAT! But then I desided to upgrade it after about a year. So I grab a copy of slayers autoinstaller, copy it to a disc, load it on my Xbox...........and BAM! there gose my FTP connection :( So heres the Tempoary fix. I would just pop in the Xavier Disc and boot the box and my FTP was fixed.....untill I booted the box with th disc in the drive, then my FTP went back to WRONG!!! And so one day I accidently deleted my Xavier Disc (was and a CD-RW)! So now i think it's time to do this right and just fix it!!! But I don't know how, i've tried every possibe ideas and no luck (not to mention many hours wasted). I hope the info helped :)

14. Juddanaut

Juddanaut Member

OMG OMG!!! I too have this very annoying problem!

I am using a crossover cable too and have tried all the settings from many websites with no effect.

I use flashfxp and seem to be able to connect, but none of the xbox drives come up at all! I use xbconnect and xlink which work perfectly fine over the crossover. Also i can download avalaunch updates perfectly! It is only fting that doesnt work!

The funny thing is that i used to be able to ftp perfectly until slayers was installed on my xbox(prior to this i had set it up manually). Then again a few months ago i had it working(after many weeks) using dhcp an a router!

Im just soo confused and glad t finally find ppl with the same problem, i felt like i was doing something really stupidly wrong before this!.

Some ideas for the cause of the problem are:

-windows internet connection sharing
    -using new cat 6(not cat 5)
    -slayers auto installer
    -new evox(doubtful as ava and media centre wont ftp either)
    - some windows other windows thing!

Someone who has had the same problem and been able to fix it please help us!!!

15. Juddanaut

Juddanaut Member

btw, i am going to try and make an evox cd just for ftping and give u guys the results!

16. Juddanaut

Juddanaut Member

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=69083&st=0

I used internet explorer to do the ftp and it worked!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!

Just follow this guide, though i got it to work using the PC ip adress as the default gateway so try that if the guide doesnt work for u!

Its so much easier to use compared to flashfxp, though i heard its slower!

17. joschez

joschez Regular member

FTP only gives me 4.1Mbps, is that what you get with IE?

18. Juddanaut

Juddanaut Member

i am not sure how to work out how fast its transfering. It really doesnt seem slow at all! And the main thing for me i suppose is that it is working. I think for you guys who still cant solve this problem try ie as ure ftp and if that doesnt work just keep trying others.

If u know a way of measuring the speed, just give us a yell and ill be happy to give you the speed i am getting.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  19. ballz

ballz Member

tippytip i dont know if this will help but ive been having probs connectin xbox to p.c for ages sometimes it would connect other times it wouldnt then i happened to change my web browser now it connects every time like i say dont know if this will help but it worked for me.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  20. Dark_Myth

Dark_Myth Member

Well it clear to me that The Slayers auto installer caused me and Juddanaut FTP connection to fail. But it seems Juddanaut found a way to fix it using internet explorer! I have used internet explorer to FTP when I had Xaviers autoinstaller but I tried it with slayers and, no luck. The cool thing is that the guide that Juddanaut posted (from looking over it brief) has som kinda info on pinging...never did that before ^_^ Sooo Im goanna follow the tutorial and see where it get :) If I get no luck im goanna try to donwload EvoX on a disc pop it in and see it corrects the FTP problem. If it dose Im goanna install it on the Xbox and...Problem SOlved!!