1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Hard Drive Clicking

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Witiker, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Witiker

Witiker Guest

I have a major problem. The hard drive for an xbox of mine is clicking. It works very seldom and all I need is the eeprom and the contents in the hard drive backed up. But i cannot access it with a hard drive that clicks and gives me error 7. I heard this has to do with the arm inside the hard drive. Is there any way to fix it. Should I take it to a shop and try to get it salvaged or should i take it apart myself. Any thoughts? This would be greatly appreciated.

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Normally the click means the discs within are damaged, recovery would be minimal at best! I'd just cut my losses!

3. Witiker

Witiker Guest

thanks, can i use a hard drive from a different xbox? I have two i just want to get all the eeproms and stuff so i can copy it to a larger drive such as a 120gb. Is this possible?

4. drock1286

drock1286 Member

I had the same problem...turns out, you cannot connect to the harddrive to copy the eeprom with this happening... However, (and I guarantee NOTHING) what worked for me was to remove my harddrive and lightly, and I mean LIGHTLY, shake it slightly. I don't know why it worked, and I only tried this because I was just plumb mad at my harddrive, but it was stable for long enough for me to back it all up to my computer...

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Cheeky!

It's a long shot, but what have you got to loose? Try that, see what happens...

Otherwise you'll need a modchip or eeprom reader to get you up and running again!

6. Witiker

Witiker Guest

my hard drive is fried ive tried several things. Can you put a different xbox hard drive in the xbox. And then copy whats on that and put it on a bigger hard drive. or do you have to match the eeproms with the motherboard in which case my xbox is usless.

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Each motherboard\HDD are paired. The eeprom keeps them locked to each other and you need that key to change the HDD!

You'll need a modchip or eeprom reader!

8. Witiker

Witiker Guest

ok thanks for the help.