1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX Harddrive Upgrade Guide (using evolution x dashboard)

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by seamonkey, Jun 8, 2003.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

*--Harddrive replacements--*
    -not responsible for any damages done--

The stock MS harddrive varies from around 8GB to 10GB, depending on the number on the harddrive. Most XBOX games average around 1 to 2GBs in size, so the stock drive allows you to save only about 4 - 6 games. lets change that!

-Overview/Requirements-
    You need to have a mod chip installed onto your xbox, flashed with a bios that alllows for a HD swap (evolution X and EvoX bioses do, not sure about others, i personally use EvoX D6 Eject Fix Bios)

1. In the evolution X dashboard, go to system utils > Backup. this will back up important info into the C:\Backup\ folder on your xbox (make sure that it does backup, some earlier versions of evolution x dashboard didn't backup the files right, evolution x dashboard v 1.8.3285 works beautifully, there should be five files in there)

2. Backup both your C and E drives of the xbox harddrive (you'll want this to copy back onto the new harddrive and to have just in case)

3. Make a new folder for the evolution x dashboard hd install cd we need to make.
    You can use the evox.ini file from the xbox (the one we backed up earlier). You'll need to change a few things in it:
    -leave everything else above this part alone, but go down to the [MENU] part.
    Replace what is there with this:

[Menu]
    Section "Install Menu"
    {
    Item "Install New Drive",@210
    Item "Settings",@9
    Item "Reboot",@5
    }

[Action_10]

Info "Install HDD"
    Warning "This will format all drives"
    Warning "Make sure you have a backup of C & E"
    Progress "Formatting Drives"

ConfigSector "\backup\disk.bin"
    Format c:
    Format e:
    Format f:
    Format x:
    format y:
    format z:

[Action_11]

[Action_12]

-then save it to the new folder, also copy over your evolution x dashboard file and rename it to default.xbe and also copy the folder "Backup" from the C:\Backup of the xbox.
    so you have these files in the new folder:

evox.ini
    default.xbe
    \backup\bios.bin
    \backup\disk.bin
    \backup\eeprom.bin
    \backup\hddinfo.txt
    \backup\hddkey.bin

and then make an xbox image file (i use xISO) and burn it to a blank cd-rw (one that you know works in your xbox).

4. Disassemble your xbox and replace the Harddrive (make sure the jumpers on the harddrive are set to Primary or Master.
    I am not sure about what harddrives work or not.. but i would assume any IDE ata/100 5400RPM or better, the max size you can replace is about 130GB, i guess the xbox doesn't recognize anything above that or something...
    Now hook up the harddrive like any harddrive and reassemble your xbox.
    (keep your old xbox harddrive, just in case something goes awry)

5. Boot up your xbox with the cd we just created in step 3. It will load the evoluation x dashboard, go the the Install HD and follow the steps and wait for it to finish.

6. then just reinstall your c and e drives and make sure your evox.ini file or settings has USE F Drive? to a Y for YES. Your F Drive on the new hd will be the biggest and where you'll want to save games, music or apps..

2. ttonyyll

ttonyyll Member

hey seamonkey,
    i have an xbox and i wanted to do the mod to reflash my bios if you have any info please contatc me
    thanks
    tony

3. antomic

antomic Regular member

will this work for a softmodded xbox?

4. xboxjack

xboxjack Guest

please can somebody send me the required files for a boot cd i dont have any of the bios ones and im missing some othrs to thankyou so much to whoever does it.

5. vegeta999

vegeta999 Member

will this work on a softmodded xbox ?

6. mhmd25

mhmd25 Guest

thank u man

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2007
  7. Oriockh

Oriockh Member

hi!

im very new to this so called modding.

i have already a modded xbox with only a 10gig hdd.

i would need some programs i guess. where do all of you get those?
    plz reply :)

8. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Did you softmod or hardmod? "Auto Installer Deluxe 4.01" is an iso that contains various mod tools, applications, dashboards and emulators. This iso is better suited for softmodded boxes. A "Slayers 2.7" iso contains much of the same but it is originally for chipped boxes, it contains utilities that hardmodded systems need.

You can find these by doing a simple torrent search, for example google. After you have found a torrent tracker download a torrent client and download away.

9. Oriockh

Oriockh Member

thanks btw for replyin :)

my box is flashed, dunno if that is a soft mod or what so..

it was modded for about two years ago, but now im curious how do make my new hdd validated to my xbox, and what programs i will need and those basics, i dont have those lyxuries with tools though so i need it simple and less electronic as possible ;)

10. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

To restore your ms dash use the restore option from the exploit disc mod menu or aid disc, click restore ms dash. But in order for you to do this you must have first created a ms dash backup before you softmoded your box. Upon doing so, your box will no longer be in a modded state. Simply reinstall the softmod by using the exploit disc.

If you created a mod backup it will revert any changes to the point in time when the mod backup was created. It will restore your ms dash without removing the mod.

Do a google search for Auto Installer Deluxe 4.01. This iso contains a clean ms dash if you don’t have a ms dash backup on the hard drive.

Before messing around with the restore options backup your eeprom on to you pc just in case something does go wrong.

11. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The info i just posted i placed it in the wrong reply field. Since i have so many open windows that I didn't realize it was the incorrect response, my bad.

To upgrade your hard drive check out this tutorial
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

12. Oriockh

Oriockh Member

thx m8.

downloaded superdisc 3.7 rc8 and it worked out great.

so now i just need to put the backup files back at its container?

13. kmssd

kmssd Member

Can I use this method with UnleashX, using the evox.ini from it and editing it, then use the UnleashX default.xbe?

14. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  15. kmssd

kmssd Member

I meant can I upgrade a harddrive without using EvoX, I don't have EvoX so I wanted to ask if I can make the boot disc using UnleashX from the beginning, not using Evox at all?

16. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Why don't you use xboxhdm 1.9? Its easier.

17. kmssd

kmssd Member

I'm in the middle of that and it's giving me problems, I don't know if the harddrive is bad or the computer is too old, cause I get a message saying "A disc read error has occur press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart," when I try to load the disc.

18. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

To upgrade a hard drive you don't need a dashboard, you need a pc and a xboxhdm iso that contains your eeprom and contents of C and E. You later use unleashX to format F and G partitions. Use the tutorial link I provided, its real easy. Just follow the tutorial step by step.

19. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The cd drive must be in the secondary IDE slot and the hard drive you are going to upgrade in the primary IDE slot, check the hard drive jumper it must be set to master or primary master

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  20. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

The iso is booted when the computer attempts to load windows. It doesn't work while windows is booted.