1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Xbox] Have I killed it..No Video..No Boot

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by dibbnz, Apr 29, 2010.

1. dibbnz

dibbnz Member

hi guys hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

i have a modded xbox classic bought 2nd hand 3-4 years ago. have only used it to store movies etc on, no gaming at all.

Well i finally decided to hook it up to our wlan, which was a mish in itself. Then decided to update xbmc. Backed up C and E drives. mucked about in the settings as u do. I rebooted prior to updating and could no longer get into xbmc, said it was loading but did nothing after that.

Now when I turn it on I get the initial xbox start up sound but no video at all. No error screen no nothing. The box itself sounds like its trying to do something but of course nothing happens.

I bought a new set of a/v cables hoping it was a faulty cable, but no thats not the problem.

What next? I thought I could try 'hot swapping' to at least save my data, but I think i need it to be able to boot first and of course it won't.

So now I'm stuck and needing some help. According to what i've read it seems to me it is indeed dead but if there is some chance it can be resurrected i'd be more than grateful

thx in advance
    dibb

2. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

that xbmc is screwed.. it's an awful broken thing to use as a dash, most unreliable built by complete morons IMO.. dickheads with NO linux awareness whatsoever.... now.. is it chipped or is it a softmod?

read the "missing or broken" dash recovery guide stickys (error16/21 etc) because it's a software balls up not a hardware fault unless you have opened it up and tinkered with anything.. probably need to do a hotswap to edit the evox.ini boot file to point at a working dash..

just check you have the tv on the right a/v settings as well..

3. dibbnz

dibbnz Member

thanks for replying Paula

I have a chipped box.

I'm reading thru the error stickies again, and i am assuming that i need:

1) access to another modded box, which I don't OR
    2) to hotswap it a box capable of 'booting' to some sort of screen, which i don't or if it is i can't see it.
    3) If it was booting and i couldn't see it, i'm assuming i'd be able to FTP in, which i also can't.

So where to from here? I'm a complete xbox noob, tho reasonably pc literate. But i don't think i'm capable of doing half of the stuff recommended in the stickies i.e flashing bioses, rebuilding the hdd etc.It feels like i'm trying this, that and the other HOPING somethings gonna work!!! If i knew for sure what the actual problem was i think i'd feel more confident in attempting a fix!!

I really am beginning to think i have had 2 problems occur at pretty much the same time:
    a) corrupted xbe's caused by my fiddling about
    b) the NO Video situation, which is a real puzzle as i have no flashing green or reds just a solid green

But then what would i really know :), you seem to think its software so i'll focus my attention there

dibb

4. dibbnz

dibbnz Member

okay,
    i opened up the box took chip off and tried booting...the only change was i got red/green flash. Then, i inhooked both drives and booted again and nothing, got solid green all the way. So, where does that leave me?? Next step is to try and retrieve my data off the drive. If theres something else i can try i'd be really interested

5. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

you have a chip.. that should have a dash.. or get yourself a copy of slayers installer (or bonesx or something similar.. there are a few, just avoid the sid ones.. they are for softmods) and cold boot it.. when it starts up you will have a nice menu with options.. choose "only install dash (evox or whatever) to C" ... I would go with evox as it's the most stable to start with just to get everything working..

slayers 2.6 is good.. torrents.. burn iso to dvd-r at 8x (16x disks might be bad news btw) or a cd-r if you have a samsung 605B drive (not F.. garbage).. or if you have a tommy drive leave the cd-r unfinalized and it will work (trade secret)

Theres another way.. C4RN1 has a "cheaters C" set of files on his profile page (shouldn't be hard to find).. you can get a dash from there.. the chip should allow you to boot the chip menu to set up ftp etc.. try holding down the white controller button and switching on.. that will allow you to unlock the hdd if you want to wipe it completely in the pc.. or connect it to the pc (if it's locked.. no way to find out without putting it in your pc really) but not required as the drive is unlocked anyway once the disk menu shows up.. and put dash files on easily. Don't worry about locking the drive (don't even attempt it.. chip doesn't need a locked drive.. ONLY lock the drive when it's connected to the xbox.. though it doesn't really matter because you can replace it if it gets locked to something random in the pc)

You have a variant of an error16.. but with a chip a broken dash (especially xbmc) often leads to everything seeming normal but a black screen. OR.. you could have a burned out video choke.. which is very very uncommon, but I have seen one or two over the years.. hey ho.. costs nothing to try the other options first tho so what the hell yes? This box is far from dead.. you are getting the boot sounds.. they go with the flubber.. so it's just the graphics which go with that seem to have gone west and then the dash isn't happening.. probably well easy to fix if I had it here but not so easy to diagnose at a distance.. faulty dash files on C is the problem.. and the chip bios preventing an error screen from showing up... probably xbmc files have overwritten a chunk of the xbox dash files.. file protection is very dodgy on the xfat filesystem.. it doesn't seem to remove deleted files properly and then overwrites, runs out of space.. errors silently and corrupts the lot.. hehehehe.. happened to me twice so far.. 300 gigs of films lost each time.. drat.. :) so.. lesson.. don't rely on an xbox as a safe media storage device.. it ain't..

I don't run windoze.. my xbox skillz with the pc now are 100% linux based.. you will need a fatx application to read the xbox filesystem on a pc.. (I don't .. debian will mount and read xfat just fine) whats it called.. fatxplorer?? fat360xplorer??.. something like that.. can't remember the windoze ways.. been too long.. haven't touched a broken xbox in over 3 years. Used to know everything about them too.. and I mean everything

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2010
  6. dibbnz

dibbnz Member

thanks for that paula

getting everything together now and when i get some free time later will give it a go.
    sure do appreciate u helpin out rgds Donna

7. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

ok .. fire me a pm to let me know when you are ready .. for some reason the site doesn't highlight new posts any more :)

8. dibbnz

dibbnz Member

hi Paula

Have tried burning a couple of discs, but not having alotta luck with it. Don't know if its the discs or not. Havent had much spare time either but hope to get on to it in the next day or two.

9. dibbnz

dibbnz Member

hi paula

sorry i've taken so long to get back to you. I'm smack dab in the middle of launching a new business and there doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day to go round!!!

Now, I got the Thomo DVD.
    I had heaps trouble gettin the iso burned to disk, so yeh i think you're right, this is where the problem is...used about 5 p/cs software imgburn, magic iso, anytoISO.
    Tell me Paula, the ISO has to be burned with fatx file system so xbox can read it?? so of course trying to find something to do that wasnt easy...so i think i got myself all confused!!

I'm feelin pretty sheepish that i dont get this!!!!!!!Heellppp :)