1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox HDD Mod Help?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by garby, Nov 6, 2009.

1. garby

garby Member

hey guys, hopefully youll be able to help me with my problem.

i have softmodded my xbox, and everything has been working fine.
    i softmodded it with the SID 4.0 installer via a mp3 player and the splinter cell hack.

i had a 160 gb HDD laying around, so i looked up how to mod and swap a larger hdd into the xbox.

i used this guide - http://www.techfreaks.org/articles/modxbox2.shtml

i followed all the steps correctly, and after i plugged in the HDD, i got an error 6 service code. i looked around on google. and found out that the error code means that the HDD is locked on 2 xboxes? but the hard drive came out of a computer. it was formatted, and had absolutely nothing on it.

so i looked around more and figured that it might also mean that the HDD key was incorrect. so i opened up my eeprom.bin with liveinfo
    and lone behold, the serial number did not match the one on my xbox. the spot read all zeroes, and hddkey spots were all zeros.

i figured out that it wasnt my actual eeprom i backed up, but a virtual one made by the softmod.

so i figured out my REAL HDD key, and now i am stuck on how to unlock the HDD, and re-lock it with the actual HDD key.

i tried the same method as used in the tutorial above, but my computer will not load the disc. it goes straight to a screen that says - master primary slave error, or something like that, and gives me the option to go into the setup of my bios.

so i went in and changed the boot order so it loads from the CD first, then the HDD.

but when i saved, and rebooted it did the exact same thing as before.

so can you guys help me figure out how to unlock and relock the HDD?

thanks in advance.
    garrett

2. garby

garby Member

sorry for the double post.

i was able to find the correct eeprom.bin and make a correct xboxHDM disc, but when i boot into the disc it does not recognize my harddrive?

any help would be greatly appereciated, because i do not want to waste a hard drive.

3. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

well, did you try the virtual eeprom´s hdd key. so all the zeros. i assume your harddrive is locked to the virtual eeprom with all zeros. but isn´t xboxscene the master password.... with that you can always unlock the harddrive either with the some disc you locked it with. off course, the command is unlockhd -a.

btw.
    make sure the hdd is on master! the program looks on the master ide port for the hard drive

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  4. garby

garby Member

i know how to unlock the HDD, its just the HDD won't show up at all. ive attached it to the primary master, primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave. all with no luck.

5. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

well, if it doesn't show up you probably killed it...

6. garby

garby Member

how did i kill it? i just locked it with the wrong password. didn't do anything that's not in that guide.

7. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

it NOT showing up is related to the electronics of the harddrive. regardless whether it is locked or unlocked, it SHOULD show up in the bios. so if you say that it isn't, you damages the electronics somehow. a locked hard drive shows up in the bios, it just isn't accessible.

8. scum101

scum101 Guest

try a different ide cable XD

9. garby

garby Member

damn. so the drive is pretty much toast?