1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox HDD upgrade not quite right

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by DrBusta, May 21, 2009.

1. DrBusta

DrBusta Member

Hey everyone, I have been lurking on the forums here for a while, and this is my first post, hope you don't mind. I have had a look through loads of guides and done a search or 3 (million :p) but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I softmodded my xbox using splinter cell and krayzies mod, then I installed XBMC using a guide I found online. Everything was fine and dandy. Then I got a new 160Gb hard drive. I got xboxhdm from xbins and followed a guide written by someone on here. It all seemed to work fine, made the ISO, formatted the drive etc. Plugged it into the xbox and for some reason now it boots the M$ dash again, not XBMC as the original drive did. I can run the SC exploit again to get to unleash X and FTP to the xbox but I can't seem to work out why it's booting the M$ dash.

Any help much appreciated :)

2. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

I think you could just overwrite the M$Dash on the C drive with what ever dash your using( ie whatever the M$Dash is on the C drive just rename the dash you want with the same name and put it in there) try doing that.

3. Matt__B

Matt__B Member

I am having exactly the same issue, although I used MechAssault to softmod my box.

I softmodded the box according to this guide:

http://www.productwiki.com/microsof...-xbox-to-xbox-media-center-in-30-minutes.html

And everything was working like a dream. The, I realised I had an old 120Gb SeaGate hard drive sitting about, so thought I'd put it in the xbox to make some room for bits and pieces, as the 8Gb was quickly running out.

So I used this guide, to do so:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/203286

And the hard drive seemed to lock fine, everything went OK. Then... when I switch the xbox on, it boots into the original MS dash. No errors or anything, and the HD is accessible (to view savegames etc) from the MS dash.

So I thought I could just copy XBMC to the hard drive again as per in the original guide (so just extract XBMC to my PC, then FTP the whole lot to the E: drive.) So I used MechAssault to boot into the UnleashX dash and it seems to think the softmod is still installed. So I FTP the contents of XBMC to the E:\dashboard folder. But still no luck!

Can anyone point me in the right direction to restore XBMC?

Thanks in advance for any help.

4. Matt__B

Matt__B Member

Just an update, I tried to install XBMC according to the guide on the XBMC site (install XBMC to E:\Apps, then create the .xbe and .cfg shortcut in c:\xboxdash.xbe) but then it gives me the error 13 when I boot it up.

When I change the HD, do I need to reinstall the softmod?

Could I use something like AID to automate the XBMC install procedure for me?

5. Demonix90

Demonix90 Guest

For both questions, you can reinstall the softmod with a new HD. You pretty much rebuilt your HD using XboxHDM, which can fix a lot of crashes on the stock HD. If your softmod didn't carry over, you may have forgotten to FTP them from your Xbox originally? Or something is missing. Regardless if your Xbox boots normal with a new HD, you have passed already hundreds of possible problems that could when upgrading your HD. Needless to say, reinstall the softmod, FTP everything you need. Aid4.5 is an AMAZING disc btw. If you want a good emulator disc, goto google, type in "kill all the yuppies", over 1000 roms for 5+ emulators all in ISO format.