1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox HDD Upgrade partition problem

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by ian_h, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ian_h

ian_h Member

Hello afterdawn members-

I have a problem partitioning my 40gb Xbox HDD. I had to reformat it since it failed booting after some time. I used xbhdm and it didn't even detect that I could set an F partition when "Building an HD from scratch" and I thought it would be fine...until... I boot up my box and look at my drives using UnleashX and notice I only have 8gb. I enabled F and G drives, used UnleashX to format both and nothing changed... I noticed that nothing really happened when I clicked OK to format the F drive. I even tried it in EvoX. Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

when you ftp do you se f drive and g drive
    if so make a folder and put like a pic that you dont want or something and then go to the xbox and the format it if not then i dont know
    sory

3. ian_h

ian_h Member

Nope. Can't even format it via modchip. I'm going to try Slayers.

4. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

do you have a modchip? because if you have a modchip then you can't use xboxhdm. that could be why, if you have a softmod then use xboxhdm, if your using hardmod, then you are goin to have to use slayers or auto installer deluxe 3.0, i think 3.10 is out now but not sure, i just used the autoinstaller to install a 250GB into my cuz's xbox(hardmod), and it worked like a champ. but ya anyways,
    HARDMOD=SLAYERS/AID 3.0
    SOFTMOD=XBOXHDM
    hope this helps.

5. ian_h

ian_h Member

I started off with softmods, then went hard. After using my hdd for a while, the FTP would cut out, some errors were coming up, so I decided to reformat. That's when the F drive disappeared. I'm going to burn Slayer's 2.7 in a few min. I tried on a CD-R That normally works, but my xbox couldn't read that. Gonna try a DVD. Btw- Has anyone here used RiDATA dvd's for burning Xbox apps before?

6. handsom

handsom Regular member

This may be a dumb question (I haven't helped with an xbox in over a month, so apologies if I'm rusty), when you use xboxhdm, and it "didn't even detect" the possibility of an F partition; are you sure you had set the disk right? I ask, because if the boot-disc isn't JUST right, it will cause this problem.

It's a very tempermental tool; I was raving mad by the time I figured out that, because it's a very limited unix command prompt, it required the entire word 'yes' to be typed in one of the late command prompts, rather than 'y', which is okay in every dos prompt on earth.

Needless to say, I was unfamiliar with unix/linux at the time. But I've had numerous users contact me with the same problem on many occasions.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear more on the XBoxHDM problem, and maybe I'll be able to assist you further. If you could do a 'printscrn' in windows, showing the disc contents, I could probably get a slightly better idea. I mainly want to see what folders are present, and if possible, how big each is. That would be great. I would probably be able to solve your problem from there, if it isn't already fixed.

7. ian_h

ian_h Member

Well, I don't remmeber it well, I Xbhdm'd the hdd on sunday, and It just went through acting like it never had an F partition. I then tried the menu option "Format F partition" and it went through ok, but when I popped it in my xbox, it still didn't appear. It's enabled on all of my Dashes, and unavailable on my X3 chip. I'm about to try Slayer's 2.7 in a few minutes.

8. ian_h

ian_h Member

Gah no edit button :(

Anyways- I just tried formatting in slayers and the F drive still won't appear. I even pressed "Full install/Large HDD" and "Format F drive only", yet it still says F:0 ...

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Just a thought.. does the drive have a size cap jumper setting?

With slayers you should be able to do a full rebuild.. I always used to start off with a totally clear drive. As you are hard modded pop the drive back in your pc and just blat all the partitions off.. Then start again in the xbox from scratch with slayers.

Make sure the drive is reporting the correct size in your pc bios, sometimes they get stuck.

10. ian_h

ian_h Member

Aha. Figured it out. CS (Cable Select) doesn't appear to allow F partitions. I just changed the jumper to Master. Thanks :p