1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox keyboard and mouse

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Fuzzy2006, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

HI,
    I installed a usb port in my xbox a couple of months ago. I connected up my pc keyboard and mouse (wired) to it and it works fine. I bought a new wireless keyboard and mouse off ebay but for some reason they dont work.

Any ideas why?

it is a Belkin wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse.

There is the link to the specs od the keyboard and mouse.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...ion_Path=/Root/ComputerAccessories/Keyboards/

Any ideas how i can get it working?
    I was thinking of buying a FRAQ, do you think it will work with that???

Thakns for looking
    Fraser

2. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

Probably a power problem, if the devices draw too much power. I've heard this can happen on both Xbox/USB and the Playstation 2 USB.

3. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

so how do i fix that?

btw i have 1 LED in the controller port where it is connected to.

4. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

Try using one device at a time. If they work one at a time, it may be that the combined power consumption is too much for the port.

You could also try using one device per port, if I use both my Logitech Internet keyboard with my M$ cordless mouse on the same Xbox/USB adaptor, the mouse tends to flake out. But if I put the mouse on controller port 3 and the keyboard on port 4, I have no problems.

If that doesn't solve the problem, see if a non-cordless mouse or keyboard solves the problem. Try different combinations and you should work it out. It could be that you need to use a different brand of mouse/keyboard, a brand that uses less power to operate the mouse/keyboard tranceivers.

One more thing, if you are using a cordless setup that is using only one tranceiver (the little box that the mouse/keyboard communicates with) to control both the mouse & keyboard, that could be the problem. A tranceiver that controls more than one device may draw too much power from the Xbox's controller port.

5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

It doesn't work because it's wireless. You can't install a wireless keyboard on your xbox like you can on your computer (at least it won't be as simple.) You may be able to download the driver and install it in the appropriate places, but it'll probably be a pain in the ass figuring it out.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  6. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

Wrong.

I'm using a wireless Logitech keyboard & a wireless Microsoft Optical on my Xbox, I just have to use each one in its own controller port.

Check again dude.

7. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

there only is one usb port so i cant connect it to controller ports 3 and 4. but there is also a ps/2 controller port!

this is what it is like.

Reciever > < Wire > < 1 USB port >
    < 1 PS/2 port >

Do you thing a fraq will fix it?

8. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

still no further. What can i do now?

9. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

Just to test if it's a power problem, you could try searching for a tutorial on making your own XBOX/USB adapter.

I've made a couple of these myself...not too complicated.

If you can round up the spare parts, aseemble them and get it working...you could try using it on one port and your store bought adapter on another to see if it's a power consumption problem. If everything works, either use the adapter you've made or buy a new one.

Could save some money on another adaptor, if the problem lies elswhere.

10. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

Very strange, I was taking a break from my current project, when I notice your reply to this thread.

At the moment, I'm putting together a home-made USB adpater for my Xbox.

I'm using an old (non-working) Sega Genesis 3 case.

On the front...two USB ports where the Genesis' game ports used to be.

On the back...2 Xbox controller heads. (notice I'm using 2 ports for my device...to distribute the power amongst my devices lol)

On the left...2 small ends of the Xbox break-away cables where the AV/Power panel resides on the Genesis 3, so I can pass through the USB box and still use Xbox controllers on it.

On the right...2 USB male ends to connect to a PC, to use my Xbox controllers (on the left side of my USB box) on my PC.

Just thought it was wierd that I was involved in this when I noticed the post. lol

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  11. punqewe

punqewe Active member

anytime you use a foriegn device on the xbox it's a shot in the dark....some work,and some don't. Best thing to do is look up on forums about what problems others have had in the past before you go buy the product.

12. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

i didn't know this was a "foriegn device"

are u sure it is?

13. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

He just meant it's not a native Xbox device. Which means it may or may not work, depending on whether or not the Xbox can identify the device and whatever software you're using can assign a driver to control it.

It is possible that the mouse/keyboard configuration you're trying to use is just not compatible with the Xbox.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  14. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Regular member

Does the mouse work by itself? What about the keyboard?
    If they won't even run one at a time, it's probably not gonna work anyway.