1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox linux and file sharing

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by againstme, Aug 6, 2004.

1. againstme

againstme Member

i have gentoo linux on my xbox, can i download a file sharing program? i downloaded limewire but the linux doesnt recognize it and wont open it. (i got the linux limewire) any know any p2p programs that work on xbox linux?

2. Jicksta

Jicksta Member

Nutshell: You'll need to emerge giFT.

- Emerge/Portage is a Gentoo program for automatically downloading, extracting, compiling, and installing of programs. Quite nifty, really.

- giFT is a Fast Track (Kazaa) network client with additional support for Gnutella and OpenFT. The FT network is probably what you're looking for access to.

Open a console application (XTerm, Konsole) or hit CTL+ALT+F2 for a virtual console.

Firstly, root privileges are needed to install anything. Type "su". The default GentooX root password is "xbox".

Next, you'll need to synchronize the portage database. Type: emerge sync. This will take a long time; let it finish!

Next, try typing "emerge --pretend gift" and "emerge --pretend giftd"

I don't recall the portage name for giFT. One of the two commands above will return package dependencies and one will return a message saying "No matches found" or something similar. Which ever one works, type that command without the --pretend (notice the two hyphens!)

EX: emerge giftd

If all else fails, check the Gentoox website:http://gentoox.shallax.com

FOREWARNING: I have had a lot of difficulty setting the giFTd up in the past. To this day, I've never actually got it working (sad, isn't it?). You'll need more patience than you think you have. Google will be your best friend, here. :)

Good luck! Hope this helps!

Jicksta

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004