1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Live backup

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by davidt800, Mar 31, 2005.

1. davidt800

davidt800 Member

Hi
    Im getting a new HDD and i want to put all my xbox live files from my current HDD to the new one, i know how to FTP but i just need to know what files/folders to copy.
    Many thanks

2. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Do NOT do this! If you do, you will get banned w/in two weeks on LIVE. Have you ever heard of the marriage theory? It states that as soon as you set up an Xbox Live account on a hard drive, it keeps track of the hard drive you are using that LIVE account under, and if HD's are switched then LIVE will pick this up and you will be banned.

People say you can change your EEPROM, and they think this will take care of the problem, but people are still being mysteriously banned even after changing their EEPROM on their new hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2005
  3. davidt800

davidt800 Member

OK, thanks for that i won't be doing this after all!!! But what do you do if your xbox dies and you buy a new one and use LIVE on that will they ban you then?

4. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Ok, I guess I kind of jumped to conclusions before finding out some info.

Are you going to be upgrading your Xbox with a larger hard drive than the Xbox's original? To upgrade to a larger hard drive you need to be using some softmodmding technique or need a mod chip (you probably already knew that).

If you are using the same exact type of hard drive (the hard drive that comes with the Xbox, either an 8GB or 10GB) then you may be able to copy all of your files from your old hard drive to your new one without being banned, but I am not 100% sure on this, I would be cautious about doing it. If you are just doing this, then I would call Xbox and let them know you are doing it.

The reason why you get banned after changing hard drives is because 95% of people that change their hard drives have modded their system. This is why the marriage theory came in to affect.

To answer your question....

If you buy a new Xbox and want to use your old name and keep all of your LIVE files from that name, then I believe that they allow you to do that when you are signing up on the new Xbox. It gives you an option of setting up a new account or using an existing account, and in your case you would want to choose the use an existing account.

Does this help?

5. davidt800

davidt800 Member

Yes, thanks!

6. davidt800

davidt800 Member

Yes, thanks!