1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox motherboard swap

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by MrBill337, Feb 1, 2005.

1. MrBill337

MrBill337 Member

Will a 1.6 motherboard work with a hard drive and disk drive from a 1.3 Xbox?

2. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

Yes, if it is unlocked and if you are using some dashboard other than M$.

3. krale

krale Guest

maybe the screw hole are alitte different but the power supply will not work from a 1.0-1.5 to a 1.6

4. mdsup

mdsup Guest

i am pretty sure you need a 1.6 powersupply for that 1.6 board

5. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

I just swapped a 1.6 MB & PS into a painted case & blew the MB. I tried replacing the 2t transistor with a 2A but that didnt work. I checked the PS to be working, but I was told the SMI chip blew.

**You must make sure you place metal contacts on the 2 posts you trim or you will cause a short! or try swapping the metal sheilding too. The blue boxed post should also be trimmed & the metal flattened.

http://pages.hosting.domaindirect.com/paintedxbox.com/pics/short.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  6. hank3rd

hank3rd Member

Where did you get the 2a or 2t transistor?

7. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

a friend had a ton.

search 'repair consoles uk' they have all the resistors & transistors that blow!

8. Zippy84

Zippy84 Member

Swapping a mobo with a different version power supply is suicide... completely different power scheme plus the hard drive problem youre goingf to run into...the formatting of the hard drives are different in each version of xbox just like the mobos......the way that the files are arranged will screw you up....unlocked or not....thus the reason you cant just take your HD from a 1.1 to a 1.4 even if both are modded.... :( if you have any questions PM me.....sorry about your luck with the blown mobo

9. jiggysmb

jiggysmb Member

that is incorrect. you can unlock 2 different version hard drives & swap them, but you would need both xboxs modded to unlock the drives. I had a 200GB in my 1.0 & put that in a 1.2. I couldnt find my original 7gb, but used a 10gb from a 1.6. There is only one hard drive format XDFS!

Also you can not even plug in the wrong version power supply, it wont fit

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  10. los2hot

los2hot Member

so did the 1.6 motherboard blow because you did not put the right power supply? or because you did not replace the 2 sheilding? do you have to replace the 2t to 2a? i ask because i want to put a 1.6 mb into my halo se box

thank you