1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox network issue/problem

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by im_etten, Feb 28, 2007.

1. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

I have a Linksys wiress router connected to my cable modem. I have a Cisco Catalyst switch connected to the router. I have 4 PC's connected to the switch and they all get IP addresses. When I connect my Xbox to the switch I don't get an IP address. When I connect the Xbox straight to the router with the same cable I get an IP address. Does anyone know why this is the case? What can I do to get the switch to give the Xbox an IP address? The DHCP on the router is turned on...

2. steimy

steimy Active member

is the settings in your dashboard for the network set to Static: NO (your hacked dash like EvoX or UnleashX)
    I have mine running with a linksys router and it works fine. ONly other thing i had to do with mine is go into the MS Dashboard and set up the network there as DHCP and enter the security information from my router (as i have my security set up as all wireless routers should)

Once you do that you can see that the signal would stay steady rather than cutting in and out.

and i have no idea what this is "Cisco Catalyst switch " as my router has Cisco security built in.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  3. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

I physically own a Cisco Catalyst 24 port switch... I have the 24 port switch connected to my Linksys router. This allows me to have 4 PC's (or more) connected to my network. The router is used for a wireless connection, and to assign the IP addresses using DHCP through the switch.

My setup is Cable Modem --> Router --> Switch (all PC's & Xbox are connected to the switch).

I did try to unplug the cable from the Xbox to the switch, then turn on the Xbox and see that there is no network link. I then plug in the Xbox and it gets a network link, but the IP address is something like 170.9.6.4 . This is not the IP range the Xbox should be getting from the router. If I bypass the switch and plug in the Xbox directly to the router I get a valid IP...

4. steimy

steimy Active member

to tell you the truth, i would just plug strait to the router then. If you have open ports it is just as easy.
    Or of course get a wireless Linksys gaming adapter. That would also pull the IP strait from the router.
    only other idea i would have you have most likely tried, and that is that Cisco products like your switch should have come with some good monitoring/configuration software for networking that may be able to help solve it if you must use the switch.
    or even possibly configuring the xbox manually to be in the range of the switch's IP Address rather than the router.

also the 360 cable that you mentioned, is it a strait cable or a cat5? I have one at home but since i use the wireless adapter i did not even research it. Plus i have a 50 foot cat5 cable if i need to connect directly.

5. im_etten

im_etten Regular member

Problem solved... My switch was taking a long time to pull the IP address. Yesterday I could not get it to work, but today it seems to get an IP, it just takes several minutes...

6. steimy

steimy Active member

nice, glad you got it working. My wireless did that the other week. One day i had an IP, the next it was gone. Then i turned it on and the IP has been back every since.