1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox only reading cds

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by shawty, Oct 7, 2007.

1. shawty

shawty Member

all of a sudden my xbox can only read cds, i tried with a dvd and nothing, games the same.
    Recently i cleaned my dvd drive with grease and oil and all that, and it worked perfectly for about 1 month, till now
    about i week ago, 1 day before it stopped working, i deleted all files on z drive, e:cache and x and y i think it is
    my xbox now can only get to the flubber screen while there's a game inside, and it gets stuck on the microsot logo, the moment i eject it, everything loads up perfectly, does'nt matter wether i have my chip on or not.
    on the other hand, it read a cd perfectly, only it said that the songs lasted about 10 times their real time, but it read it without trouble
    also if i boot xbmc without anything inside the drive, it loads perfectly, but when i insert a game, everything freezes

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Start a troubleshooting run!

Get hold of another Xbox drive for 10 mins and see if it fixes the issue!

If there is no change, then we're dealing with a software issue!

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Is it a Thompson DVD Drive, those are known to have problems but the problems are easy to fix.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  4. shawty

shawty Member

unforunately i cant borrow an xbox drive, as nobody wants to risk it, and it is a samsung dvd drive, i'm guessing maybe first try to troubleshoot the software, anybody know how?

5. deadlove

deadlove Guest

That sounds like there is oil and/or grease somewhere it shouldn't be. You need to open it up and clean the laser lens and mirror carefully.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/cleaning_your_dvd_drive.htm

note:: the lasers on the 605f drives have a habit of just dying suddenly. Replacements are easy to find and now are pretty cheap.

I don't think it's a software issue, otherwise it would read no disks at all, not just fail on DVD's. I guess you tried booting an original with your mod disabled?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2007
  6. shawty

shawty Member

deadlove, before i saw your post, i cleaned my drive, as i had already thought it could be a grease stain on the laser or the mirror or something, and it still isn't working, maybe i have to clean something else as i just cleaned the lens.
    about the replacement, i can't get one, i don't live in the US so it's no easy around here
    also yesterday i tried with a the cd before cleaning the lens and it read it wihtout problems until i changed track, it just froze until i eject it
    the results after cleaning the lens were the same, any other ideas?

7. shawty

shawty Member

fogot to mention some things, i remember that after deleting the files on z: x: y: and e:cache, my xbox was still working perfectly, so my guess is that the xbox is dirty, about three months ago my xbox had a similar problem, it could read anything but took ages or got stuck, so i opened it and cleaned the laser and its components, put grease on the rails and cleaned and put grease on the spiral thingy (motor), but the same week my xbox stopped reading games, i changed it's position and put it vertical, so maybe some grease could've melted (extremely probable round here) and licked onto something that isn't meant to have grease , i'll check it out and post my results

8. shawty

shawty Member

ok i ran some tests, my xbox can now read nothing, absolutely nothing!
    i poened the dvd drive, checked if it even turned on the laser, which it did, but it keeps making a sound like if it were trying to reach some point but couldn't
    i booted with game or cd on and stood bellow the open drive to check the laser and the deck. the deck only went back and forth about 1 mm, but it seems like it would never get to it's destination, and the last time it read a cd, it sounded like if it were at full speed, no it can't even make half the sound.
    it could only read up to song one, then it kept reading back and forth till it got to the end of the cd

deadlove, your guide is for the thomson dvd i think, which is totally different, mine is samsung

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  9. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Could be something obstructing the laser from moving. Try to move the laser back and forth with your finger WITH OUT TOUCHING THE LENS. You aren't supposed to do this, but since its broken why not give it a shot. Try to see if you have to put excessive force to move the laser. If it moves, leave it all the way away from the center and then load something to see if it moves back to the HOME position by itself.
    For a New DVD Drive go here:
    http://www.richspsxparts.com/xbox.html
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=XBOX+DVD+Drive&category0=

Also try this:
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/dvddrive.php

Let me know how it goes.

10. shawty

shawty Member

i tried moving it and it felt preety gentle, i tried putting on the other end as you said, and it couldn't get back to the center, until i turned it on again, but then it kinda kept popping on the center and about 1 mm back,
    once it couldn't get back and the next it could, and on and on everytime i tried without exeption, and i noticed that after the first time (before it could get to pop on the center), it got a tiny bit closer to the center (about half mm) and then after turning it off and on again, it came all the way down and popped, this whole procedured happened everytime i tried (about 4 times).
    so maybe there's something stuck, i'll try to clean the rail and see what happens

11. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

If that doesn't work then you could use the other links I sent in the previous post and buy a new drive or use an ordinary DVD Drive.

12. saltynuts

saltynuts Guest

you can buy a used xbox from gamestop now for a song and a dance.

13. shawty

shawty Member

i tried cleaning the kicker motor and regreasing it, but it did'nt work so i'll have to wait til saturday for to get ahold of a pc one just to do tests
    i also noticed that when i boot with a dvd (didn't try with cd), the laser starts reading and the speed increases (or at least the dvd sounds boosting), but after about 2-3 seconds, the laser turns off and the speed decreases, not totally but considerably

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

This is a drive issue but I don't know if its with just the laser or with the whole drive.

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Read the tutorial for the Samsung in my tutorial section, I'd say you are having worm spindle issues!

16. shawty

shawty Member

i saw the vid you posted, and that is exactly the video i used to clean my drive about three months back, and it worked perfectly with a little adjustments, but now it isn't working

17. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Time for a new drive

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I think so...

See if you can source a laser first though!?

19. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

If its not moving on the spindle then I would think that its a problem with the drive itself, not the laser.

20. shawty

shawty Member

ok got a lot of news to tell you, i got ahold of an lg dvd drive, which of course didn't have the same energy source connection that the xbox dvd drive has, so i had to power it through the pc and connect the ide through the xbox (i'm just posting this so it can help someone), i tried running a dvd movie and guess!?!
    nothing -.- i tried with a game and nothing either, cd the same.
    however, at the moment i can play forza motorsport and gta vc but in the weirdest way you can imagine. I don't know how, but the lg drive can recognize the files on the dvd if i go to d: (only the lg one can do this), so i tried using dvd2xbox and copy the games to my hdd, but the problem is it could'nt, so i tried with flash fxp and gloriously it could, so i ftp'd these two games to test, and then i ftp'd them back to my xbox to e:games (only one at a time as i have the 10gb drive and only 3.5 gb free) and now i can play them
    another strange thing that happened is that i tried with halo 2 and i only got three files, one of them had these weird symbols and the other two didn't, but these files didn't even make it up to 20 mb (as i can remember).
    by now i think the issue is not in the dvd drive, but there's a chance it could be both
    any suggestions?