1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox reads CD-R!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by brown9046, Jul 9, 2003.

1. brown9046

brown9046 Member

Hey,
    I just wanted someone to explain to me why i read everywhere that the xbox can't read CD-R. I modded my xbox about a month ago and followed instructions on backing up my games to CD-RW. The games all worked fine, but yesterday i burned a game to a CD-R and the game booted up. I then tried all my VCDs(which are on CD-R) with XBMP and they all worked.
    I'm not complaining but i'd like to why?

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

You probably have the newer samsung dvd drive in yours.It plays cd-r. I've gone through about three xbox's and that was the only drive that played cd-r.

3. Zero-X

Zero-X Guest

yeah it's the DVD drive. I own two Xbox's, i bought one in december and it can't play cd-r's. I got a new one three weeks ago it plays cd-r's just think of yourself as one of the lucky people with samsund dvd drive.

4. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

Yeah... it seems more and more new XBOX's now have the Samsung drive. The last 10 or so I bought, I have probably only had 2 that had the Philips drive. And even 1 of those read Datawrite CDR burned at 4X. I still guess to some extent it depends on where you live as to what drive you get.

5. punqewe

punqewe Active member

It more or less depends on the 'batch' that you get your machine from. You just look at the # by the date onthe back of the machine. We took one back before we flached it because it had the newer sharp chip....when we got the replacement,it had it too. Two days later we figured out how to mod it. Just two wires (one with a switch) and we were in business.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

i wish i did't have the version 1.0, but it was super easy to mod though..
    oh well, doesn't matter anyways if you have a dvd burner (but very convienent for making your first boot discs!!)....

peace
    seamonkey420

7. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I've never had a problem with both my box's.....I just wish I had more games. (short on funds)

8. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

i have a crappy philips drive and i have tried lots of cd-r (cheaper!!), and found that it only reads Memorex 700MB 80MINS cd-r.
    all the others it cannot read.

hope this may help sum1 in the future as i will invest in these cd-r instead of certain cd-rw!!

9. mestizo86

mestizo86 Guest

To get an xbox one if these samsung DVD drives that read CD-Rs at a normal store, what should i look for. Any particular country or anything of that sort.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2003
  10. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

Theres no real way to tell which XBOX has got the Samsung drive without popping the drive tray out and you can't do that with a new XBOX. Best thing to do is buy one from a shop with money back guarantee so if you get one without the Samsung take it back, say it doesn't work and they will swap it or give you your money back and you can try again. Most new XBOX's have Samsung though.

11. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

no they do not.

obviously you have not been reading the news around microsoft and xbox!
    The samsung drive are too expensive to put in most consoles according to microsoft. thats where philips come in. most xboxs have philips drives now, and occasionally with samsung.

12. ModMaster

ModMaster Member

All I can go on is personal experience in that the last 13 or 14 XBOX's I bought only 2 had the Philips drive. Like I have said many times before even in this very thread. It may depend a LOT on where you live as to which batches are available to you. You obviously haven't been reading the whole thread. And if you have any interesting "news" as you say why not post a link to it so we can all see?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  13. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

where do u live then????
    if the rest of them had sumsung in them, i want to visit the shop!!!

14. theboywil

theboywil Member

I live in the UK... and having just stumbled across this thread, tried a few music CD-Rs in my new (unmodded) Green XboX...

And they all seem to work fine...

I traded the old black one (which didn't play CD-Rs) for the Ltd Edition Green Box...

So think the Green box might be a good place to start looking for a CD-R player...

15. punqewe

punqewe Active member

All I know is,that both of my XBOX's that had the samsung drive were dated DECEMBER 12th 2002.

They both had the same lot number too...what that was I don't remember....I took it out and put in the old tompson drive cause it handled the games better....the samsung gave me some problems.