1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox softmod and hard drive upgrade error 13

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jaybe, Jan 27, 2010.

1. jaybe

jaybe Member

Ok so I've been searching around for a while now trying to find someone with this same issue and haven't had any luck. I softmodded my xbox by hotswapping and installing ndure. Everything worked great, I installed emulators and all that and I was happy. But then I wanted a bigger hard drive so I took an old 80gb I had lying around and used xboxhdm and a clean version of msdash, just made a stock hard drive then installed ndure then locked it. Everything went smoothly until I connected it to my xbox.

I got an error 13. I was kinda pissed but I reset the xbox a couple of times and it booted straight to unleashx. Now it intermittently gives me error 13 when I try to start it up. Sometimes I have to start it up a few times for the error 13 to go away but it always does. I replaced the dash with xbmc and it works great as well. I can ftp, download updates, watch videos, etc. But the error 13 always comes back for some reason and I have to reset it a few times. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I read a brief comment from someone about it possibly being the DDO on the hard drive? Im not sure what that means. The hard drive is a Seagate barracuda ST380021A 80gb. Thanks in advance if you can help.

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

it's related to your ide cable.. probably not plugged in the dvd drive properly.

3. jaybe

jaybe Member

From everything I've read its a problem loading the dash. I have a stock xbox hard drive that loads just fine with unleashx 100% of the time. It just this hard drive in particular that doesn't want to work.

4. jaybe

jaybe Member

Oh and also, I get an error 12 when I boot it up without the DVD drive plugged in, so I doubt that its the IDE cable and the DVD drive.

5. scum101

scum101 Guest

do you have a philips drive? .. believe.. error 13 is ide/controller/dvd drive related. It's common with philips drives, and some samsung 605f's will throw it depending on how they have or are failing.

E12 is no dvd drive detected
    E13 is unspecified ide error (which can be down to an unexpected hdd data error but is most often due to a bad cable or other fault related to something connected to the ide controller)
    The old rubber cased seagate drives will throw E13 for a while at random before one day clicking like mad and chucking E7

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  6. jaybe

jaybe Member

The drive is an H L storage Model: GDR-8050L. As I said earlier it boots up fine with the original 10gb stock drive with unleashx dashboard on it. I've tried making an xboxhd iso with the original msdash files and also a copy I downloaded. I don't use a different IDE cable when I use the stock HD and its never once given me an error 13. Today I did a zero fill on the new HD and put it back to a stock drive and got error 13 again 5 or 6 times before it booted to msdash.