1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX Softmod: Error 6 after HD rebuild with correct password

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Zend, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Zend

Zend Member

Hello,
    I have a problem with an xbox of mine that I'm trying to softmod.
    The retail hard disc I think is dead after some try of hotswap.. however, it doesn't matter.
    Actually I've rebuilt a 40 GB Maxtor HD with XBOX Recovery Tool 1.9.
    I have the motherboard password, I've used a special cable to read the EEPROM.
    If I try to lock this HD ( option 3 of the recovery tool ), with the command lockhd -p my-32-chars-xbox-password, it says that everything is correct, and infacts, the hard drive is locked.

Putting it on the xbox, then boot, all that I get is ERROR 6.
    It should works, I think I've done everything the correct way. All the cables are connected and working.

Any advices?
    Thanks in advance!

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

well.. as error6 means locked to wrong eeprom.. you aren't doing it right. It's probably locking to the pc mobo eeprom rather than the eeprom file you saved from the xbox. (if you saved an actual eeprom dump rather than some pure invention of a thing.. read the eeprom reader topic to find out how to check it's valid)..

your method doesn't feel right.. for starters you are using something I have never heard of.. so that's interesting in itself with my history.. if I haven't heard of it it's usually because it's not used by anybody because it doesn't work. XBOX Recovery Tool 1.9. ????? wtf is that???

3. Zend

Zend Member

Hi,
    ok, I will explain better what I've done and used.
    The program I used is the famous xboxhdm v.1.9, that I previously called Xbox Recovery Tool, because if you boot your pc with the cd in it, you can see "Xbox HD Maker And Recovery Tool".

using the option 1, the 1 again, I've rebuilt the 40gb Maxtor HD.
    The eeprom.bin is inside the iso I've done ( inside eeprom dir ), but if I choose option 6 ( that is "generate password / eeprom.bin required" ), it says EEPROM.BIN is not in the cd.

So my problem was to lock the hd.
    I restarted my pc, I choosen option 3 ( lock/unlock ), then I used the command lockhd -p my-password ( where my-password is my xbox modo 32 chars password ).

I use to provide the password by hand because I do not know how to set the path to look for the eeprom.bin inside the cd ( this is option 2 - specify a path ).

The result is successfully, my hd is locked with the password I took from the xbox mobo, and, I think is important to say, I used LiveInfo to see this password, that, I repeat, is 32 chars long ( unique HD key ).

What is exactly wrong in this?
    Thanks!

4. Zend

Zend Member

Hello,
    I finally solved by myself, my error was just above: with LiveInfo there is just no password, 'Unique HD Key' it is not the password, nor the 'Online Key'. It is possible nobody knows this or is just because nobody wants to help me? :)

I solved doing again the iso of xboxhdm with my xbox eeprom in the eeprom dir, this time it worked, and I only needed to write the command "lockhd -a" ( without quotes ).