1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox to PC Software Problem!!!! Please Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Paradox13, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Paradox13

Paradox13 Member

have long hours reading and researching this idea for a very long time, and although I'm not the first to wonder about this perplexing mystery or the theory of how to resolve the problem, the answer(s) have continued to elude me to the point of maddening frustration. So now I have come to you, the intellectual minds that dominate these forums, to try to finally and truly find the answer(s) to my question(s): Can I somehow play Xbox games on my PC? Is it truly, actually possible to do so? And if so, how?

I understand that there are differences in both the file structure as well as logical and physical formats of an Xbox game, but, in the end, it is simply a DVD-ROM PC game with encrypted or encoded software to make it inapplicable to play on a PC. So I don't want to know why it is unable to play in a PC DVD-ROM drive since I already know why, I just want to know if there is some way to play it on my PC? Can it be done?

I tried using the CxBx emulator to try and play Halo 2 on my PC, but for some unknown reason, it wouldn't work. I tried to download the Xeon emulator, but it wouldn't work for some strange reason because it was a RAR file and I don't know how to solve that so I can use that emulator successfully. I thought of the idea of installing the Xbox DVD-ROM drive into my PC to play Xbox games, but do to firmware and software conflicts, it was ruled out also.

I don't want to by a modded Xbox to reconfigure the games in order to play them on my PC, I just want to buy the games and play them on my PC (without using a modified Xbox), so can it be done? Is it possible? If so, how? What do I need to know? What am I doing wrong? What do I need to buy? What do I need to download and/or install? Please don't bull me around, give me the straight answers to my questions or don't bother replying, because I don't care about why, I care about the "if" and the "how." Thanks.

2. ph33rlus

ph33rlus Member

i too have had problems with cxbx all it seems to do is convert an xbe file to exe and i imagine intergrate an emulator into it.

the problem with running xbox games on a pc is that ms went out with nvidia and specifically designed a multimedia platform (graphics) for the xbox the video chipset in an xbox will never be found on a pc, and because all xbox games have been designed to take advantage of specific technologies in these chips, it makes it that much harder to emulate all this with software.

software designers aren't paid by big companies to make emulators. emulator developers do it in their spare time for free. so it might be a very long time before it works.

when it comes down to it, your better off either buying an xbox (even 2nd hand if you cant afford a new one) or buying the pc version of whatever game you want to play.

you dont have to buy a modded xbox, most of the time they're overpriced because they just start off as a regular box, someone throws a mod chip in it, then add's a bit of profit for their time.

you're better off buying an unmodded one cheaper, and taking the time to modify it yourself.

most of the time you don't need a modchip to begin with!

3. tatrsalid

tatrsalid Member

for days i have been pondering on that same thought, is it possible for someone to play XBOX [bold]or[/bold] even PS2 on your computer? the more i think abouit it the more awesome it sounds. Just think, that idea wold save you hundreds of dollars because you wouldn't have to buy the actual console. All that you have to do is turn on your pc connect the controller and pop in the xbox version of halo 2. that would be sweet. That dream may be closer than all you guys think. Yeah, that is what I am saying I may have found a way to create the [bold]ultimate[/bold] gaming system. you may have already looked at the idea or might have not but here it is. It all started when my brother, who is in college, told me that a guy across the hall is building his own computer from scratch, well, his computer is going to be even more powerful than my brothers at [bold]$1,000[/bold] cheaper.this guy is spending about $800 on his pc. Now, as I was thinking about the whole XBOX pc idea it struck me. What if you could build your own computer and as you are putting it together, you install all the nessecary parts needed for playing xbox games. hey you could even add ps2 parts if you wanted to. At the price of what the pc would cost to build and the money needed to buy the video chip and all that other stuff, we may be talking close to 1000 bucks. Think of all the things you gain: #1, you are now able to play xbox and/or ps2 games on your computer,#2, you just saved several hundred dollars, #3, you have a brand new pc, customized to fit both your gaming needs and even your school, work, family, etc. needs. cool idea huh? who ever reads this, could you reply so i can see if any one cared to read this or if you think it is a good or bad idea, i don't care, just please reply. thanks

4. ph33rlus

ph33rlus Member

it's not that close,

you cant just build a flash pc and run an xbox game on it. an xbox is NOT a pc, it's based on PC architecture.

the video graphics alone are fully exclusive to the xbox, and will never be available on the pc. microsoft paid nvidia to develop the graphics chip.

thus the only way of going about it is through an emulator, only once a reliable emulator is in the mainstream would it be viable to 'build a custom pc' at 800 bucks, to play an xbox game.

seeing as an xbox is only a p3 700mhz or close to it with 64mb ram and an 8gb hdd, today's standard pc's reach the requirements to able to emulate an xbox game anyway.

pc's won't read xbox game discs for a start, so you'd still need to use an xbox to get the game on your pc in the first place.

at the moment i would say it's more trouble than it's worth, but you'll only find out, if you give it a try.

let us know how far you get

5. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

I believe your wrong my friend, the xbox is a pc pure and simple, granted it has ps2 ports and serial ports vga etc missing but that is only becuase a custum built motherboard has been made. its not just based on pc architecture it is a pc. It has bios a north and south bridge even ide drive controllers like a normal pc.

there is no diference, just because the board has been omitted of some features and others included (special graphics) doesn't make it not a pc. just because the graphics has been specially made for the xbox isn't a reason for it to not be a pc.

Xbox games will not run on pc's period, the pc dvd rom drive won't see the disk for various reasons. Plus your file system is all wrong, xbox uses fatx and this cannot be run by any windows OS file structures.

for my full understanding look at this thread

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/130107

i'm not saying i'm right but it posses a good question?

p.s. read both pages it's quite long winded

6. ph33rlus

ph33rlus Member

it has no ps2 ports, serial ports, no floppy drive, no conventional sound output (its all through 1 cable) no mic input. nowhere to upgrade ram, no file system compatibility, and no dvd compatibility.
    that doesn't sound much like a Personal Computer.

it has a graphics processor, it has a custom bios, it has a ide hdd, it has usb supported interface if you modify it.

just becuase it has most the features of a pc doesn't mean it is 'pure and simple' i mean a graphics processor, graphics, sound, usb. SO DOES A CELLPHONE!

you dont call a cellphone a pc.

you cant call a game console a pc. it's designed to play games, based on the architecture of a pc. but you cant plug an xbox in and start editing your excel spreadsheets.

7. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

you can after you instal linux on it then use wine to instal winxp(scaled down version) then instal office2000 then connect a usb pc keyboard in the controller ports(there usb you know) then plug a mouse in the other then a printer in the other and lets say an external usb dvd rom drive in the other (i believe thats all four ports taken up)

copy your excel spreadsheet to cd.

Pop it into your xbox's new dvdrom drive open up edit it then print it out if you like.

sounds like a cheap pc to me!!

last time i checked my phone didn't use office2000

let me tell you the diference between an an xbox and a cellphone.

The xbox is a pc that cannot be upgraded very well indeed. and has had significant changes to stop people upgradeing them but it didn't work!!!

cellphones mainly run using pic microcontrollers which are incredably simple pc architectured devices.

and playstations are pc based architectured devices too as you cannot do any of the above

if you would like to know how to turn your xbox into a linux or winxp(yes it can be done) based pc there is plenty of help on the net.

8. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

by the way the xbox is not a games console, it's a pc thats been told its a games console!!!

9. Paradox13

Paradox13 Member

First off, I'd like to thank all of you for your thoughts on this matter along with your assistance in helping me try to solve this very, very difficult question that I have posted and has continued to rack my brain ever more, each time I try to find an answer--not a guess, not an estimation, or a theory, but a true answer to this seemingly retoricle question.

Second, in regards to an xbox being a pc or not, and their questionable relation to a cell phone, the answers for that are much, much easier to answer than the question(s) I have posted in this thread.

ph33rlus: In regards to your despute with smiff6969, I'm afraid smiff6969 is correct, an xbox is a pc, a very cheap, very simple pc, but a pc none the less, trust me. If you require a more certifiable clearification on this then here it is:

According to The Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the basic definition of a computer is "a programmable electronic device that can store, retrieve, and process data." Therefore, ergo, an xbox is, in fact, a personal computer.

Also, thank you so much for all of your info. in pertaining to the hardware configuration and microchip structure that was specifically manufactured by Microsoft and Nvidea to be designed for playing xbox games for and ONLY for the xbox game console in a greedy effort to maintain a monopoly of only having high quality DVD-ROM games to only be available on an xbox (a cheap, crappy, little excuse for a computer), and only having crappy quality CD-ROM games avaible on PC's (which can have the ability to have the greatest, highest quality graphics for any video game in the world)........Bastards! I hate Corporate America and all of it's greedy mega-conglomerate, franchises.

smiff6969: I hate to tell you this, but although you were correct in your arguement with ph33rlus in that an xbox is actually a pc, in accordence to the very defination I stated to ph33rlus about what a computer basically is, that rule also applies to a cellular telephone. (If you still don't believe me, just look at some of the Tungsten cellphone models with the PalmOne OS and/or the HP iPac cellphones with the Windows Mobile OS.) So, thus you were both somewhat right and somewhat wrong in that respect.

Also, thank you for all of you helpful information as pertaining to my posted thread.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  10. ph33rlus

ph33rlus Member

thank you paradox13 for putting the flame out before it became a blazing inferno.

i'm afraid i'll have to agree with you, on the basis that xbox's, cellphones, and pc's are classed as a personal computer. you can't argue with a dictionary.

also when i was mentioning a cellphone, it was an example of how a cellphone could do pc related tasks but is not a pc. until of course, the dictionary proved me wrong.

all good, hope we were of 'some' service.

lol

11. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

I'll go for a well earnt draw on that one then thanks lads.

i suppose in a year or two my phone may well be editing excel spreadsheets....... it just about makes the coffee now!!!!

cheers ph33rlus have a good christmas and thanks Paradox13 i have no problem whatso ever with people who do their reaserch.

hope santa brings you something bar a pair of socks this year lads, by for now

12. ph33rlus

ph33rlus Member

actually i peeked,

santa got me a rf wireless xbox controller :wink: