1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox too loud maybe???

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by xHaydenx, May 10, 2007.

1. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I use the Xbox just for the XBMC dashboard these days, and lately I've noticed that the console itself seems louder. I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but could the fan be starting to malfunction? I mean, I've had it for several years now.

I tried going into the system settings and turning the fan speed down to 10%. Is that risky? Or should I try and get a new fan?

thanks.

2. casper007

casper007 Guest

The CPU and GPU inside your xbox will get quite hot with out a good circulation of air so i wouldn't recomend turning the fan down, just replace it if its the problem.

3. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

The thing is, I don't know if the fan is playing up. I can't remember if it's louder now than it was before! I might get a new fan for it anyway. Are they expensive and do I have to get a certain model?

cheers and thanks.

4. casper007

casper007 Guest

No not expensive, do a google search.

5. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I see, I found this tutorial which explains the installation of a 80mm fan. About this, will it really be both quieter and provide more cooling than the fan that's already in it?

It just seems weird that MS would put in such a cheap fan, when these 80mm ones are considered so much better.

thanks for the help thus far, casper.

6. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Also, on the net I see a lot of different models and prices for these 80mm fans. Will it matter if I get a cheap one?

7. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

8. eiffel65

eiffel65 Regular member

Get the extra noise repellents and you'll be good to go.

9. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I'm yet to get the new fan yet, but just a quick question: of all the noise the Xbox makes, is the fan the main contributer? I mean, will it make more than half as much noise with a new fan or won't it be that noticeable?

thanks.