1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox will boot games but not Installers or dash

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by kalamaf, Oct 20, 2007.

1. kalamaf

kalamaf Guest

I've had a chip & 80gb HD in my box for about 4 years or so but I can't remember which one it is since I hadn't done the install myself. I think it's an Xecuter 3 (have they been around 4 years?), it's on a red board and has 3 switches mounted on the front of the console. I've never had it on xbox live but last night I decided to fire up Phantasy Star and give that a try, I turned off the chip, and turned on the xobx. Error 13.

Then I remembered ages ago, back when Chronicles of Riddick came out on DVD it had tried to update my dashboard or something and froze up half way through. I eventually turned the system off and back on and everything seemed to be working as normal. I never go to the MS dashboard for anything, until yesterday to try and set up xbox live, but I assume the failed update that Riddick caused is the root of my problem.

If I put in a game, it will load up and play no problem, saving games still works too, but that's all that works. I can't boot to evox, slayers or the auto installer 3. All 3 boot discs were burned to CD-RW but all give an Error 14. I've tried both banks and with the chip both on and off, no luck.

Any ideas?

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Did you burn the discs as images? They normally come as .iso files and need to be burnt as images.

If your CD contains just the .iso file after burning you didn't do it correctly, it should have loads of folders, etc!

3. kalamaf

kalamaf Guest

Yeah, they were burned as images in Nero, not as data. I even found my original install disk from way back when I first had it modded, that one didn't work either. Even weirder, I hooked it back up a few hours later to have another go at it, and everything is working fine again on it's own.

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Magic! I love magic!

;)

5. luger81

luger81 Member

I have the same problem as the original poster (kalamaf). I can load Star Wars Battlefront but I can't load Evox or the MS dash. I can't load boot discs either. What do I need to do? Please help.