1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xboxhdm(upgrading HD)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by m0dnewb, Apr 4, 2007.

1. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

ok this may stump alot of you but hopefully someone can help me..

ok im trying to install a 160GB western digital HD with the model
    WD1600JB-00REA0

so i have the xboxhdm disk made on a DVD-R and it has my eeprom c/e drive on it

well i put it into my Dell dimension 2400 and when it boots up it goes to Bio's A02

how do you change the boot of bios to cd drive?

here is the crazy part......eventually i got pissed and thought ill just put it in my computer instead of xbox so i try to but it into my computer....i hook the cable that says SLAVE on it and it boots up and says the primary was not found but when i turn it off then on again with the slave unhooked it boots fine....

so can anyone help me with either of these problems?

2. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

one more thing...my friend already tried doing it but he said for somereason it doesnt want to work...

i tried putting it in and it gave me an error 06 which means its cannot unlock

he said all the files are on the Hard drive

3. steimy

steimy Active member

http://www.teammodders.com/forum/using-xboxhdm-to-build-an-xbox-hard-drive-t87.html
    there is a tutorial for using XboxHDM

For changing your boot settings you need to enter the set up menu (BIOS) first before you do anything. so that the first boot device is CD and not hard drive. I think with my old Dell it was something like F8 that you hold down when starting the PC. But there is usually a message when you start the PC that tells you how to enter the set up menu.

4. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Lets say I want to create a new xbox HDD from scratch using xboxhdm v1.9. (What is Config Magic? A lot of people speak about it. Does it fucttion the same as xboxhdm?) I copy all the necessary files from my original Xbox HDD to my PC then transfer all the files to my new formatted drive locking it using the eeprom. Is it possible to swap hard drives while to xbox is off? They'll have the same eeprom locked with the same HDD key but the only difference will be the GB size. As I can understand the hotswap method should only be used if you have lost your original eeprom or want to restore your retail dash or if the drive became unlocked by an app or if the eeprom got corrupted kernels.

Am I wrong or can it be done? How much GB can i put in my xbox? I saw a 300 GB drive at office depot for $120 and i wanted to know how much GB can i put in it.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  5. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

you should have started a new thread for this one...

but you can put alot in im not sure the limit but for the edrive it only goes to 137 but the extra you can format to the F: drive

and config magic i used to just get the eeprom i dont think you use it to format a hard drive but apparently you already got the eeprom so dont worry about config magic

and you swap the hard drive while its off you dont want to do it while its on unless you are doing a hotswap

6. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, you surely want to do the swap of the drive while it is off. and it takes all of about 10 minutes.
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-install-a-new-hdd-and-format-it-using-slayers-2-6-t672.html
    just see the first part about installing it and forgat the whole Slayer 2.7 formatting part. (although you can use Slayer 2.7 to install all the hacked dashboards and apps you want)

And hotsawp is only for people who were 1. not smart enough to keep a copy of their EEPROM file on their PC. Or 2. lost access to the Xbox where thy can not get to it (which falls back to why you do #1 in the irst place)

I have mine set up using C: and F: (but mine is chipped not crapmodded, oops i meant softmodded) and i think there may be a small amount of space on E: as well. But i have a 300GB Western Digital in mine and it has plenty of space for games. I have more games on it then i ever play.

7. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Thanks, that’s all what i wanted to know and needed some extra reassurance and confirmation from those who have done it before. When i first thought of softmodding it troubled me. The important golden rule that I follow is: when in doubt ask and do not modify anything nor delete if you are not sure, double check everything, backup backup backup.

8. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

great way of thinking there... let us know if you got everything done successfully when you swap you hdd :)

9. steimy

steimy Active member

i agree, if everyone thought like that these forums would be empty, LOL but unfortunatley they do not think before they rush into things. Which is why people end up with broken systems, bad softmods, missing files, cheap modchips and so on.