1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xdsl 0.7

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Shiny_ray, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Shiny_ray

Shiny_ray Guest

Does anybody have problems with the virtual keyboard with xdsl 0.7 on xbox. Becuase its not even working

2. varnull

varnull Guest

once it boots try unplugging the controller.. counting to 5 and plugging it back in.

3. Shiny_ray

Shiny_ray Guest

I hope you know that im talking about the keyboard, inside of linux, not the real keyboard. im just saying

4. varnull

varnull Guest

I know what you are on about.. sometimes dsl doesn't see things like controllers.. especially common with third party hardware.

5. Shiny_ray

Shiny_ray Guest

Yea but i have a mouse connected to it, so I move around on the desktop. so i double click on the keyboard it pops up, so i go to the web browser. Try to type something. And nothing it won't type

6. varnull

varnull Guest

what can I say.. it must be 6 years since I ran dsl.. I remember bugs like this being one of the reasons I started using xebian.

7. Shiny_ray

Shiny_ray Guest

well thanks for helping though, i appreciate it

8. varnull

varnull Guest

have you tried it with the controller instead of that mouse.. sometimes with certain hardware you have to put the cursor over the point you want on the virtual keyboard and then hit enter (usually A) on the controller or keyboard.

xdsl is very old and limited.. if you install xebian you will find most of these problems go away, but you will really need a keyboard to get anything worthwhile out of linux on the xbox...

I run a home made debian variant on mine.. install xebian, update the kernel and strip everything but the core system.. then I add the bits I use... no point having open office.. too big.. the fulxbox/rox window manager and toolset is nice and light.. only thing that is really hard to find which works well in the low memory environment is a good css enabled browser... dillo works, but it's not a lot of use.. firefox is way too big unless you are happy with a 1.x version and no plugins.. Many of the new applications are hopeless with the limited ram.. so it's old stuff all the way.

9. Shiny_ray

Shiny_ray Guest

What is fulxbox, i been wondering that, and does xebian have a virtual keyboard, becuase for now thast what i need until i ge a real one

10. varnull

varnull Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  11. Shiny_ray

Shiny_ray Guest

so the site you gave me will have the latest update of xebian. Sorry im new to this

12. varnull

varnull Guest

Latest update... that's a laugh.. last work that was done to xebian was something like 5 years ago.. the same age as my installer/live disk.. running it today it felt like very very old linux, which is exactly what everything for the xbox is... old.

The learning curve is going to be very steep if you haven't used linux before.. You would do better before you start and possibly break your xbox beyond repair (by normal humans) learn some linux things on your pc, where you have a keyboard and a monitor you can read to get the idea of the basics.. like how to edit files and command line syntax.

At least though the wiki says vi .. xebian has nano (breathes a huge sigh of relief)

Don't know what vi and nano are or how to launch them..... then I would think slax is a good starting point.. nice friendly website with lots of easy to understand information http://www.slax.org/

13. Shiny_ray

Shiny_ray Guest

Well I feel lke an idiot, well thanks for clearing that up for me

14. varnull

varnull Guest

No worries.. I use linux full time, and I still had some fun remembering the obsolete ways of 5 years ago.

I couldn't actually get xebian to install using the pad.. with a keyboard it went on first time.

15. Shiny_ray

Shiny_ray Guest

The next big thing should, be vista on 360, well thanks again, see ya around