1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XDVDShrink and DVD Shrink in WINE still not enough

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by Skitzy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

I am trying to find an alternative to DVD Shrink. Running it in WINE just doesn't seem to work. As far as XDVD Shrink goes.. It is lacking the very reason I use DVD Shrink in the first place (get to that in a sec) As some of you may already know I use my stand alone recorder quite alot on my tv set and sometimes I just want to cut an hour or two from a 4-5 hour recording. In DVD Shrink I can click re-author and set the perimeters (the start and end point of the new recording) anywhere I like.. I can skip past three four hours if needed and make that my start point for the new recording.. just cutting out the part that I need. Now I know theres a fix for this.. get a stand alone recorder w/ scheduling capability.. but I would still be scratching my head on a good video cut/edit tool etc. I hope all that made sense to someone else besides me.. anyways.. any help is always appreciated, thank you.

2. killaklan

killaklan Regular member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  3. deadlove

deadlove Guest

4. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Let me start this thing by saying "Happy Fourth of July Everyone"

Killaklan, wine-0.9.40

Deadlove, I have yet to fully enjoy all the features of Kino yet.. but I do have it on both, the laptop and the desktop.. my only complaint there is in comparison to shrink, the time wasted importing the video files to dv first. As to the capabilities of Kino, I was not aware of what all Kino could do till you brought it to my attention, thank you for that. One thing I gotta ask.. it's better to have the file already on the hard drive when using Kino, correct? I tried to import from disc and and it failed on the laptop. Now I just chose a disc at random and I only ran one test run.. I'm sure after a few more tries I'll have that figured out. It will be interesting to see the things I have to say here in a few days after fully getting my feet wet on a few of these apps.. like Kino, DeVeDe, K9copy, Dvd95, QDVDAuthor.. just to name a few. I'll keep you all posted.

Offtopic: may not have mastered kino yet, but I'm having hella fun with acidrip *mencoder) I never really toyed with mpeg4 much.. I'm having alot of fun trying to get aXXo quality into a 700mb file. Harder than one might think. Especially when keeping the AC3 audio.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007