1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xecuter 3 and powering up issues.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by percocet, Nov 25, 2006.

1. percocet

percocet Member

Just installed the Xecuter 3 and it powered up as soon as it was plugged in. Booted to the cromwell screen, but power button did not work, only the eject button. I noticed a burning smell, unplugged it and checked my soldering and connections.

I noticed that the connector with two red wires that goes from the mod chip to the reset eject adapter, was plugged into the "5V-V1.6 Only" on the mod chip.

I plugged it into the correct location, put things back together and plugged it in. Now it won't turn on, both the power and the eject button do nothing.

1) Does the that "5V-V1.6" connector send out power? If it does, did I fry the power/eject switch/board?

2) Or is the above no big deal, and the problem is my power supply?

I have checked, and re-checked connections and soldering and it will not power on. How do I go determine what's wrong and what needs to be replaced?

Thanks.

2. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

if the chip was installed in a none v1.6 then the above scenario shorted 5v (coming from the pin header) when you pushed the power button and with no fused protection in that circuit it's hard to tell what you may have burned out but a wild ass guess would be the reset/eject assembly.

kc

3. percocet

percocet Member

Thanks for the reply, KC36330.

The smell is coming from the power/eject area - so I doubt it's the power supply.

How can I tell if the burnt out part is the Xecuter3 CE Reset Eject Adapter or if it's the stock power/eject assembly?

I noticed that I can buy a replacement Xecuter3 CE Reset Eject Adapter for 10 bucks + s/h, but if it turns out I need to replace the stock MS power/eject board assembly, is it even possible to order one from somewhere? Anyone know?

Is it very hard to pull off the front panel of the Xbox to gain access to the power/eject board assembly without breaking it?
    Thanks.

4. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

my best guess without looking at it first hand would be you 'melted' one of the PCB traces on the reset/eject board. pull it out and take a look at it, it's really not difficult at all to get the front assembly off just be careful snapping the reset/eject board out of the holder it's snapped into. if everything there looks good, check it with a DVM you should be able to determine if it's functional or not.

kc

[​IMG]