1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xeon Pentium 4

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JSRife, Jun 24, 2004.

1. JSRife

JSRife Guest

are Xeon processors good for normal everyday internet use? Any benefits using Xeon and gaming? Does the fact it has Hyperthreading make it like 4 processors in 1?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Xeon processors are designed for SMP configurations and as such benifit from the strength of quantitiy rather than the strength of the individual processor. Obviously this makes for a bad gaming configuration.

Hyperthreading theoretically makes "two" processors.... how on earth do you get 4 in 1??? 'sides didnt they get rid of HT for Xeons because Xeons are usually used in mass clusters anyways (thus removing the need for HT)

3. JSRife

JSRife Guest

4 in 1 Processor meaning........ Xeon is 2 Processors already and each processor has Hyperthreading.....When I say 1 I mean the Xeon, I know the Xeon has two seperate Processors, but it's still considered 1 Unit, 1 Piece.....If you Order 1 Xeon chip, you would get the one Unit and it would have 2 Processors....Are we learning yet...HA HA

4. Praetor

Ok so I was wrong about the HT but wtf are talking about Xeons are two processors? It's one chip, with one processor. And like i said before, HT doesnt count for an entirely new processor -- more like a 30% improvement in thread intesnive applications.

5. superflex

superflex Member

I think JSRife reads too much and doesn't comprehend enough.

Yes, you can buy a dual Xeon processors. He need to understand that you can get them with either 1 or 2 processors.

JSRife = Spam

6. Praetor

Although realistically Xeons are designed to be implemented in mass SMP clusterings :)

LOL funny but uncalled for

7. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Not trying to spam Praetor....Seriously.. I'm not trying to offer products to the public dude, lol.....I wouldn't make any money off of it that is for sure.

:)

8. Praetor

Ya no worries ;)

9. superflex

superflex Member

Sorry P. I'll be good.
    :(

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Praetor

Curious, what would you use in a dual processor server board, and which board would you use?

11. Praetor

Depends on the purpose and overall scale; if I was setting up a server for something like statistical analysis I'd pair up some Opterons ... havnt look at the boards because the people who are considering the setup dont have the budget for it quite yet; I'm thinking MSI but not entirely sure yet.

I do know for a fact that the univ. here is going to be installing another 500+ Xeon cluster here in the short term future :)