1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xeon Quad Core vs Core 2 Quad??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rolandfan, Dec 11, 2007.

1. rolandfan

rolandfan Member

What is the difference between these chips? I am looking at a system with a 2.66hz Core 2 Quad processor Q6700 and one with a Quad Core Xeon® Processor 3.0 GHZ X5450. Not sure what the differences are (other than the Ghz) and which is more suitable.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Suitable for what purpose?

3. rolandfan

rolandfan Member

I am buying a PC for work/play. Work: financial trading running 3-4 trading platforms and charting programs together, along with IE7. Play: Music production using Cubase and Reason.

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

The Xeon is a server processor, that requires a different motherboard than the Quad core would since it's a different socket type.

Get the regular Quad core, it's much better at gaming than the Xeon since the Xeon wasn't designed for gaming.

5. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

The Xeon is definately a hell of a lot more beasty, but as Waymon said its more suited for server applications. Althought the new Mac Pro's have 2x Xeon 3.0Ghz quad cores (yes they have 8x 3.0Ghz cores in each!!) and they are more suited for the multimedia production market. I use a Mac Pro for my job and they are ace, no time to wait for Photoshop / illustrator!!

And the price tag that goes with them is a bit steep!

Stick with the Q6700 or wait for intels new CPU's to be released in Q1 2008

PS....take a look here to see a comparrison of single core, Core 2 Extreme, Dual Core Opteron, 2x Dual Core Xeon and 2x Quad Core Xeon.

The quad core xeon really performs in 3DMark06!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  6. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

Xeon is a server CPU, since it's design to handle loads of stress so it's good for server and can run for longer period...as for Core 2 Quad, they are design for daily work and gaming...

thats what i think i don't know if i'm correct...

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep, that's pretty much it. Of course technically if you're rich there's nothing wrong in having a server board, but you'll find a normal high end motherboard far more suitable I expect.

8. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

phew...i thought i was wrong...yeah...server board is cool...can fit 2 CPU...but seriously it's not build for gaming and it's much more expensive...