1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xigmatek hdt-1283 Problem

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Hammer102, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Hammer102

Hammer102 Member

I am building my first computer and I am having trouble with the xigmatek hdt-1283 installation process. I started out using the retention bracket like I was told to by someone on this forum until I realized that there was no contact being made from the heatsink and cpu. Then I went with the push-pins but that was giving me trouble because the push-pins would not all go in and when I got some in others would pop out.

Could some one please tell me what I am doing wrong I have the retention bracket but it is not easy to install and the instructions are vague.

Lastly, this is my first build!!!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ok, never use the push pins, they're useless. I don't own an HDT-1283 but on the advice of various others know the system is flawed. The retention bracket looks the same as what it is used to mount other tower heatsinks, and goes under the motherboard (you will need to unscrew your motherboard, fit the bracket to it, then put it back) I find this easiest done by screwing the bracket to the board without the cooler attached, putting the board back, then removing the screws to install the cooler - that way the bracket doesn't slide around underneath the motherboard.

3. Hammer102

Hammer102 Member

Thank you, that makes so much sense now that you say that.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

OK, glad that's all clear.