1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xmas is Over

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by attar, Dec 28, 2015.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just south of barrie in the thriving megalopolis of lefroy, about 5 minutes from lake simcoe by mountain bike.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Small town boy eh" I lived in Toronto, and London, and I've passed through Barrie many a time, but I have no memories of Lefroy. Since you have a mountain bike, do you do a lot of off road trail riding? I have two road bikes, one mountain bike, and my latest acquisition a Surly ECR for bike packing. My road bikes don't get much use any more since I've become partial to trail riding, but my ECR is going to be my adventure bike.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I lived in Toronto for almost 16yrs from oct 1980 to may 1996, mostly in North York. Lefroy is in Innisfil so passing hwy 89 on hwy 400 means you are going to pass Lefroy. only 1 trail if coming home from a customer on the 3rd concession to home. my Raleigh aluminum frame bike is what I use all the time for road use as it has twin shocks on the front forks & a spring soft tail on the back plus no knobby tires even tho about 2" wide.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Okay! I don't use knobby tires on my mountain bike either, because they're really not needed and slows the bike down. So I use Tour Ride touring tires instead, and I lock the shocks out because they displace too much energy. When I'm riding paved trails I generally ride one of my Motobecane Road bikes (one has an aluminum frame and the other carbon fiber) with clipless pedals. Lately I've been mostly riding my Surly ECR because it's great for exploring and can handle all terrains, even wet an slushy surfaces. Now that I'm retired I have a more time to travel, and there are so many trails in North America alone that I figure I better get started. My preference will be for 100 to 300 mile off road trails that are wells suited to wilderness camping.