1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP-32 vs. XP-64 vs. Win7-64? Help me choose.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by k7vc, Oct 10, 2009.

1. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I have used Windows XP 32-bit forever (I hate Vista). I would like to utilize 8 GB of memory.

Will XP-64 see all of the memory -and- run all of my XP-32 applications?

Will Win7-64 see all of the memory -and- run all of my XP-32 applications?

Do my XP applications care if they are running under a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? Do they care if they are running under XP or Win7?

Sorry for the very basic questions, but this is an area I have not kept up with.

Dick

2. gera229

gera229 Regular member

I don't know I have heard 8gb may slow it down a little slower than it is expected. Unlike 4gb they don't slow down that much.
    Sam is here to correct me if I'm wrong.

Other than that overclocking.. 8gb don't overclock as good as 4gb would.

Isn't 4gb good enough for 64 bit?

3. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

99.9% if not 100% of 32bit apps will run fine under 64 bit windows, but since there written for 32 bit os, they will not use the resources available as well as a 64 bit app would. I use alot of freeware apps written for XP 32 bit and they run fine under Windows 7. Now 64 bit Windows will not run 16 bit games, but theres ways around that with virtual machines and such.

As I have been told XP 64 bit is lacking in driver support. 64 bit wasnt as popular in the days of XP as it was when Vista was rolled out.

Keep in mind your processor needs to be capable of running a 64 bit os.

4. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I believe it may be a two-stick vs. four-stick issue more than 4GB vs. 8GB. According to MS 4GB is the minimum recommended for a fully functional 64-bit system.

Dick

5. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

That's what I needed to know. Thanks very much.

I'll be using an i7-860 P55 platform, so it should work.

Thanks, again....

Dick

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Windows 7 x64 is the best choice by far. Vista64 is unreliable, and XP64 has a lot of compatability issues.

As for the memory, a system with 8GB should run just as fast as a system with 6GB at all times, a bit faster sometimes. The fastest memory configuration currently available is 12GB (6 2GB sticks). For the processor you are looking at, the best memory throughput is 8GB (4 2GB sticks). This is because 2GB sticks currently have the lowest CAS numbers of any size (even lower than 1GB sticks). By using 4 matched sticks, you can run twin dual channel DDR...this will improve performance for some things, but may slightly decrease performance in other things. This feature can always be turned off...but it can't be turned on without 4 matched sticks.

7. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

While I dont disagree Win 7 x64 is the best choice, I do disagree that Vista x64 was/is unreliable. I ran it for several months with out any trouble at all.

8. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I ordered Windows 7 to be released October 22. I tried to find a Beta ISO, but MS isn't making them available any more. I will be burning it in with XP-32 and then re-installing Win7-64.

I have ordered 8 MB of CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9D G. If this memory is too slow, I will replace it down the line and save these sticks for another build. Is there a better memory configuration you can recommend or should these be OK?

Dick

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

The memory you got is good enough...the cas timings are higher than some memory modules, but they are still within reason.

For $250 you could have gotten a microsoft technet plus subscription that would let you download Windows 7 Ultimate today (as well as most microsoft apps). IF you spent more than that, and you can cancel your order, I would do so.

10. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Newegg has Windows 7 OEM for $175. Also, I believe first year TechNet subscriptions start at $350. Nice idea though.

Dick

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

XP 64-bit is even worse than Vista. Skip them both and get 64-bit Windows 7. Job done.

12. Knuck1ez

Knuck1ez Regular member

I second that.. 7 64-bit is the best thing that has happened to me. finally I can leave xp.. (vista just wasnt happening 32 or 64 bit)

13. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

There are tons of coupons online to make the price $250. As for the OEM version...it is locked to one mainboard, so it becomes useless once you upgrade. Windows 7 Ultimate retail is $320...and does not include office, home server, datacenter server, etc, etc, etc. For $70 less, you get 10 copies of everything microsoft makes.

14. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

That's good to know. Thanks!

Dick

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With student offers I can get an upgrade version of Windows 7 Professional for £30 (c. $50) which is great, but I'm trying to figure out if it will work off the back of a slightly dubious Vista install. I'm assuming MS aren't silly enough to let it work off the RC, and they aren't being forgiving enough to allow upgrading from XP.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Win7 can be upgraded to RTM (for instance) from Win7 RC1 or Beta by simply editing a file from the install CD (obviously the CD has to be copied to the hard drive and the file edited), i don't know if anyone has upgraded from XP though.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, I did wonder if something like that would be possible, I'll look into it. It's been too long since I had a comfortable legitimate Windows install, but I'm not being conned into using Home Premium by the student offer :p

18. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Oh, good heavens, Sam! Buy a legitimate copy. Maybe you could even arrange buy it on an Sunday to give it some feeling of a religious conversion.

You could even wear some grown-up clothes to signify your new position of responsibility within your community.

It would make you feel all grown up and respectable and you would no longer have to live in fear of the infamous Microsoft droid they periodically download to ferret-out the rebellious and reward the true-believers.

If you do, I will personally send you a certificate (suitable for framing) to proudly announce your new position within the world of men.

Come on, Sam, you can do it!!

Dick

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Call me old fashioned, but as said, I would only want the pro version. I am not paying £190 for an OS. When students are getting Home Premium for £30, as a student I don't feel paying more than 6 times as much just to get the extra features is at all acceptable.

20. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

res ipsa loquitur