1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP and Vista on 2 HDD

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by misty2055, Feb 11, 2007.

1. misty2055

misty2055 Member

I am thinking of doing this. Currently I have XP Home on an 80GB HDD.

I want to install Vista on a seperate 200GB Drive. Would it be best for me to disconnect the XP drive and install Vista on the new drive and then connect the existing drive again? I would like the option of choosing which to boot at start up. Would this be automatic if I set the Vista drive as Slave or is that too easy!

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

To have dual boot, you will need to keep the 80 attached and install Vista to the 200.

3. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Sorry I did not make myself clear. I intend to leave both HDD's atached but wondered if it would make life easier to disconnect the current drive whilst I installed Vista. Then re- attach the 80GB drive keeping the boot order as XP on Master and Vista on Slave. (Or vice versa if that would be the better option). I just wondered if installing Vista this way would be workable and easier. By having both drives attached after install would I then get the Boot option?

Tanks again.

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

You made yourself clear Misty, but in order to have a boot option menu, you have to leave the XP drive attached when installing Vista to the second drive. Otherwise, you'll end up having to switch the drives with the power off every time you to use either OS. Especially if you have your BIOS set to boot off the first primary hard drive.

You could still install the way you are asking, but then you'll need a third party boot manager to use as your boot menu.

5. ireland

ireland Active member

A simple way to do a dual boot for 2-hard drives is use a a/b/c switch to switch in the hard drive system ye want..i been using one for years.no set up is needed.
    just turn off ye computer to select what system ye want..switch A for 2000 switch B for XP...also that a good way to share the secondary hard drive for any back up files.for both systems.

NOTE THE ABC SWITCH WAS MADE FOR ME..AND I AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER ONE.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  6. misty2055

misty2055 Member

Thanks Morph. I can now see what you mean. Appreciate your patience!!

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

8. ireland

ireland Active member

Morph416

yes thats what i am looking for,it a lot of money..but i do need one..
    so i guess i will pay the price...
    thanks

9. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

No problem.... that was just the first site I seen. I am sure there's less expensive alternatives to that company.